This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LARPing Event Confusion

So I started playing a game called Dystopia Rising. I've only played the chapter (event) in my state. There is a HUGE event coming up combining story lines from every chapter next month; I've heard it will be like a festival with performers and shows in the evening. My home chapter heard that my housemates and I make props and asked if we were going to vendor at this big event. We decided to change our schedules and do it; we were making props, clothing, little knick knacks that fit in with the world, etc. We were told it was like a swap meet of props and parts and costume stuff.

I go to register and can't find anything about vendoring and so emailed. The email I got back tells me that you can only vendor as your character for things your character can make for in-game money. I told them I understood that, but was told there was real-life vendoring for this special event. They again told me that it was in-game only and you also couldn't sell in-game items for real-life money and visa-versa.

Ok, I know that; I saw that rule! But a few things here: The people running the game we started going to knew it was our first event and we are first level characters; why would they invite us to 'vendor' if we don't have enough levels to make anything? Why would they ask us about what props we could offer? Why did they tell us there would be a big flea-market type thing were we could exchange stuff?

I don't know if the people at my game were talking out their butts or if someone at the big game doesn't know something, but it's making me think of not going at all. We're a little upset that we've just invested time and money making props we have to sit on until we can sell somewhere for real.

I for one did not find a single bit of in-game money the entire first event. I also didn't get to do squat, though I tried - everything focused on main characters and pretty much excluded anyone who didn't know what was going on. Sigh. All that work for nothing.
    Last edited by LillFilly; 09-30-2014, 02:13 AM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Can you sell 'em on eBay or Etsy, just to recoup your money?

And yeah, sounds confusing and disappointing.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
    X