This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting from last year regarding parking for a charity fundraiser

This particular post involves my husband who worked at a parking garage which was used for overflow parking for a charity fundraiser sponsored by a well-known charity.

The employer I work for manages an area of parking garages that is used for special events as well as daily and monthly parking. The parking garage my husband worked at is also managed by my employer. One particular event last year was the charity fundraiser. Several corporate sponsors participated in the fundraiser, and parking passes were provided to their employees who participated in the event. The corporate sponsors paid for the parking passes. The parking passes stated which garages to park at.

The supervisor of the parking garage my husband worked at was notified by the Senior Supervisor over the area of parking garages that is used for special events to expect overflow from those garages to park at his garage, but he was not told about the parking passes.

So a customer who had one of those parking passes pulled into the garage my husband was working at because the garage her parking pass was valid for was full. She showed him her parking pass and told him that some employee wearing a white shirt told her that she could use the parking pass she had at the garage. He told her that he did not know anything about that pass. So he found the garage supervisor for her to speak to. He told her that 1) he was only notified about expecting overflow from the area of parking garages that were used for the event parking and 2) that he was not informed about any parking passes. She told him that someone wearing a white shirt told her that she could use this particular parking pass at his garage. So he called the supervisor on duty for the area of parking garages to find out what was going on. He was told that *employee name* must have told her that since he was the only one wearing a white shirt. That supervisor gave him the employee's phone number. So he called that person to find out why he told her that, and he told him that the same thing he told the customer. The employee was surprised to find out that he was not told anything about the parking passes.

That did not satisfy the customer. She cursed at my husband's supervisor when told that he could not honor her parking pass and why and that she had to pay for her parking. She parked anyway since traffic was backed up for the event. My husband dealt with her when she was leaving since he was cashiering at the time, and she cursed at him too since she had to pay for her parking.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 10-04-2014, 09:46 PM.

I'm already giving my time to the charity, coughing up for the parking as well would definitely irritate me. So I would probably rant and rave too.

At the next charity board meeting, in private, with the person who was supposed to organize the parking for the volunteers.

Given how often we all experience these kind of breakdowns in communication, (which has NO DOUBT happened to the SC herself) why do people insist on abusing 3rd and 4th parties in the mishap? Especially when it will not help.

Comment

This year my employer provided parking for the same event, but the corporate sponsors did not pay for the volunteer's parking. The volunteers had to pay for their parking.

The possible reasons why...

Several volunteers either 1) forgot their parking pass, which had to be printed, and they wanted to park for free 2) told us that they never received the information, which to my understanding, was e-mailed to them, 3) they were never told that they had to print the parking pass or 4) the volunteer told us that they took a picture of their parking pass using their cell phone, and they wanted to use that as proof. We could not accept that as proof since the parking pass had to be printed out.

Then there was this complaint.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...=snugglegirl05
      Last edited by snugglegirl05; 10-07-2014, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Ugh, maybe 3rd time will be the charm next year. It would be annoying to pay for parking for a volunteer event, but if the organizer was up front about it, c'est la vie.

Can you guys give Parking receipts? Maybe the organizer could arrange to reimburse parking for the event for volunteers upon presentation of the receipts. Sure people will park in the wrong garages/lose receipts/try to get towing fees reimbursed/etc... but it would all be pointed at the organizer now so it would be concentrated in one direction (which may or may not help much)

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
          Ugh, maybe 3rd time will be the charm next year. It would be annoying to pay for parking for a volunteer event, but if the organizer was up front about it, c'est la vie.

Can you guys give Parking receipts? Maybe the organizer could arrange to reimburse parking for the event for volunteers upon presentation of the receipts. Sure people will park in the wrong garages/lose receipts/try to get towing fees reimbursed/etc... but it would all be pointed at the organizer now so it would be concentrated in one direction (which may or may not help much)
          Since over 300 volunteers parked, I doubt that my employer would print parking receipts due to the amount of paper and ink needed plus the time and manpower needed to print the receipts.

The volunteers have to pay before parking in the garage. We give them a ticket, and we collect the money from the volunteer.
          Last edited by snugglegirl05; 10-07-2014, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X