Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to the Victorian book of morality and etiquette...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    If the husband's hanging out with the society of gay women,it seems unlikely that any child will be on the way soon... :P
    The word gay back then basically meant happy, and in this context, could have had several connotations, but not the one you refer to. Equating "gay" with "homosexual" is a rather recent linguistic and societal convention. Hell, the Flinstones theme song refers to having "a gay old time." I'm pretty sure they weren't referring to Fred and Barney getting it on.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Hell, the Flinstones theme song refers to having "a gay old time." I'm pretty sure they weren't referring to Fred and Barney getting it on.
      No, it was Betty and Wilma.

Comment

Another term, which today in North America means "male homosexual", used to mean (and in Britain, possibly still means) "cigarette".
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Does in Aussieland.

And before cigarettes, it was a bundle of wood; typically sticks used for kindling.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

And yet another word that over the last few decades has come to be associated with homosexuals, "queer," used to simply mean odd or different. "That's quite a queer outfit you're wearing today" has quite a different connotation today than it would have a century ago, for example.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

For Victorian-era British military, adultery was a court-martial offense, but the definition of adultery was different from what you'd expect - it meant to be involved with the wife of a fellow officer. Didn't matter if the officer "getting a little action" was married or single, and the army didn't care if he were dallying with a single woman or a civilian's wife. The prohibition was strictly on affairs that would affect officer-to-officer relations.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Another interesting tidbit: no one practicing good manners would use the word "leg," even to reference a table leg. They would say "limb" instead.

Comment

And that leads beautifully in.... in Britain it's called a titbit. Did you guys censor it to spare the easily excited?
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                  X