This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible stupid fear

I've been debating on if I should take a Subsidized Federal Student Loan of $3500 to help with some bills and get the washer fixed/ get a new one and replace the fridge but I'm against it because if i have enough left I'd buy an electronic drum kit. Feel free to use those *points to a box of steel poles* to bash my stupid head in.
    ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Just keep in mind that those things add up quickly. Fixing appliances is definitely something worthy of the eventual cost. The drum kit...? That's your decision. You may wish to consider stowing away any overage as an emergency repair fund (for the car, other appliances, etc).
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I could always look for the bargain appliances at the (lowes)t hardware store

Comment

Yaaaa.... I fell into that trap. I had a Pell grant that covered 3/4 of my actual tuition costs, but the way the loans were structured, they had to take the entire amount out in loans. I was then given the option every semester to roll over the extra amount into paying the loan or taking the money. I, being the naive young fool that I was, took the money. I spent a fair amount of it on books, gas, meals, and actual school related things. However, I ALSO used it as a means of non-stop upgrading of my desktop machine. And I mean constant... from a Celeron 300a, to a peltier cooling block, and nVidia/AMD GPU upgrades to keep up with the "new" games. I have 20 more years of paying on those loans, but the plus side is I got locked into 1.8% interest for the life of the loans. And they don't ever get moved between banks as the state of PA controls them. So as noted, be cautious... you're going to have to eventually pay the piper his due.
        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
        And it's not what I wanted to be
        The weight on me
        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

yeah I'd have already gone for it since I want to learn drums but I also wanted to learn guitar and well *points to 2 guitars in the corner with some dust on both and rusty parts on the electric* I can play simple stuff, it's just the more complex stuff I can never learn despite the amount of time I try to put in.

Comment

If I was going to take out a loan, the last thing on my mind would be getting any new toys. I'd get the appliance(s) fixed, maybe do some home (or car) repairs, and put the rest into a fund for possible future repairs.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              If I was going to take out a loan, the last thing on my mind would be getting any new toys. I'd get the appliance(s) fixed, maybe do some home (or car) repairs, and put the rest into a fund for possible future repairs.
              What i need to do is control my urges pay what is important THEN be dumb

Comment

Quoth darkroxas45 View Post
                I could always look for the bargain appliances at the (lowes)t hardware store
                Try outlet stores and/or keep your eyes open for sales of floor models.
                Our fridge is a "retired" (the salesman's adjective) floor model. It was maked down to 1/3 of its regular price because of of a cosmetic dent that you can spot only by shining a beam of light on that side. As we keep it in an alcove, that isn't even visible.
                As for student loans, avoid those if at all possible: they can't be discharged in BK. I see 50 y.o.'s still paying on those.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

An appliance 10 years old or less is worth fixing. Up to 15 years 50-50. 20 years, not worth it. Replace.

Just remember if you take out a student loan to pay for this, you will pay interest on the loan and it is NOT dischargable in bankruptcy. The government limits how much you can borrow; you want to keep that money to pay for school FIRST and FOREMOST.

I would not take out this loan. Student loans should go directly to school related expenses only.

The only things I used my "extra" money for (after tuition, boarding, books, and meal plan were paid for) was rent (I lived in a student rental for awhile) and gas.

The OP is better off using a laundro mat until he can afford to fix the appliance OR to save pennies and buy a new used one from Habitat or someplace similar.

As for other bills, it's probably cheaper in the long run to make a payment plan.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I got my first washing machine and drier on rent to own. At the time it cost me about $20/week at the laundry, it was $18/week for two years to rent to own a washing machine and drier. Rent to own worked so that the final price was about double paying cash, but that you could pay it off for half whatever was left owing at any time. I payed off the last $250 owing on the drier about 8 months in, then I was paying $11/week for the washer. I payed off the last $220 owed on the washer about 14 months in. I payed more than I would have to walk in and pay for the appliances, but I payed less than I would have to try to use a laundry while saving to buy some.
                    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

If you are going to use a loan to buy a washing machine, see what sort of store financing is available. That type of loan is generally not exempt for bankruptcy if such becomes necessary, and it helps to build your credit score.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If you do use the student loan to purchase the appliances (and it does seem there are other recourses available for said purchases), why not put any remaining funds away to pay against the loan or, if the language of the loan allows for it, simply pay the remainder back into the loan to get a head start on paying it back.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                        X