This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another SCART question

I found a cheap DVD player and went ahead and got it (I'll return the Blu-ray tomorrow), and brought it home and hooked it up.

Nothing. The power light went on, but the TV isn't getting the signal. I pushed the connector in, and still nothing. This player's cable has plugs on the DVD side, and a SCART connector on the TV side. I did notice that the SCART end had far fewer plugs than the one my old DVD player uses (and that player, when plugged into the TV, works fine).

Is it a fault with the SCART end? What to do?

Scart has something like 20+ pins! and not all of them are needed - as long as you have 6 for video (R, G, B and their respective grounds) and three for audio (L/R/Gnd) you should be fine.

What happens if you try any other inputs? Your TV *might*'not support one of the video methods SCART offers - RGB on separate channels is higher quality than composite (all on the one pin) - but each of your devices *might* only support one, which could be the one the other doesn't support (if that makes sense) which is why the other DVD player with more pins worked, as it probably used all the transmission methods SCART supports.

Comment

Never heard of SCART before the 2 threads here. From your reply, prjkt, it's my understanding that SCART is an "all in one" analog connection. Rather than a device having an RCA composite jack, an S-video jack, a set of RGB jacks, a set of audio jacks, and other assorted connections, each of these has a set of lines dedicated to it on the SCART connector. A signal source (such as a DVD player) will generate outputs on the lines for all the formats it supports. A signal receiver (such as a TV) will look for signal on the lines for all the formats it supports, and take the signal from the set that offers the best quality (i.e. if it supports RGB, S-video, and RCA composite, and there's signal on all 3, it'll take the RGB. If there's only signal on S-video and RCA, it'll take the S-video). So long as the source and the receiver have at least one format in common, they'll work together. If there's no overlap, they won't work together (but, unlike devices which have separate connectors for each format, it won't be obvious WHY they don't work together, since both have the same connector). Is this correct?
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Sounds about right, especially given the general braindead nature of broadcast video standards.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Is this correct?
          Pretty much, SCART as a standard was really only a European standard, so I'm not surprised that it didn't get much use in the US.

According to this wiki page, it sounds like the cable in use atm only supports composite/s-video, not RGB - possibly the TV is looking for the RGB signal...

does the TV have the standard composite a/v (yellow/white/red) inputs? if so, you can get SCART adaptors to composite pretty cheaply letting you use the composite signal

EDIT: this look like this:
          Last edited by prjkt; 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I returned the Blu-ray player AND the DVD player today. To two separate stores. Clear across town. Got my money back, and I'm going to use it for a DVD player I found online. I talked to my coworker (who knows huge amounts about electronics) about it, and he thinks it should work. The output is RGB SCART. And it's a brand that's known for good quality.

Here's hoping the third time will be a charm!

Comment

Just use the HDMI standard instead and save yourself time and headaches.

Comment

She tried that already (the DVD player) - the TV doesn't have it.

Comment

Working...
                X