This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machining joys of crashing

I work in a precision CNC machine shop. We make small parts for almost every industry you can think of.

Aluminum slingshot

One day, I notice a rather large dent in the wall of a machine.

It happened that the day-shift operator had a misloaded part, but not in the normal way. Normally, the first tool comes down and Sheers off the top of the part (usually bringing the part to height). Normally, this is where the part is thrown.

Not this time.

The Sheer Hog ran, then came a cutting tool that make a precise hole. This is where the part is thrown. It catches on the tool and whirls around at 10,000 RPM before the tool breaks, FLINGING the part in to the wall at over 70 MPH (est. based on mass of part and speed of tool).

The Haunted Machine

It was 1145 PM, I remember because we were making jokes all through our midnight break. BIZZZZZZZZ. A machine obviously made an illegal action, 99 times out of 100, Misloaded parts, operator error.

Quotes from the break.
    "ya, you owe them a new machine"
    "Don't worry about it 'Sup' is going to find some way to blame it on Gil"
    "ya, I should not have been playing the Imperial March on the control panel"

After break, 'Sup' starts to diagnose and fix the machine. To his amazement, the program had switched from "A" pallet to "B" pallet. We never seen it before. No one was even near the control panel for the last 1/2 hour before. (I was not playing the Imperial March on the control panel ).

Next day, the Floor Manager said he had seen it happen too in the past. No one has any idea why this ghost in the shell happens. Very rare too, only about twice a year does it happen.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
    Next day, the Floor Manager said he had seen it happen too in the past. No one has any idea why this ghost in the shell happens. Very rare too, only about twice a year does it happen.
    Because software is extremely complicated. In even the simplest cases, it's almost impossible to prove that your software is correct (largely because defining 'correct' is a lot harder than it looks).

I guarantee that there's more than one bug in that machine's software. But they are so subtle that finding them would cost more than you'd make selling the machines in a decade.
    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
    X