Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a number of older (vintage/antique) accent lamps that just can't take newer bulbs. We've always used the full-spectrum incandescents; I'm currently trying to find a equivalent for my room (although I rarely if ever use the overhead lamp) to test out...although I suspect we'd need to have sockets replaced. The living room fan fixture has a dimmer switch, so we'd have to see if we actually use the dimmer before having it replaced.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
      I don't understand how that is legal, considering you pay for your own electricity.
      I know. Oh, well, went and got incandescent globes and small bulbs for the kitchen, maybe $7 worth. I'll save the CFLs for when I move because I'm taking the CFLs that are shaped like regular bulbs with me.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

How do you mean the bulbs don't fit? Sockets are either Edison screw or bayonet, and bulb types come in both. All types of bulbs, from what I've seen at Bunning's.

Also, all bulb types are being phased out and replaced with LED's. You can even get little fittings that fit torches and everything.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post
          How do you mean the bulbs don't fit? Sockets are either Edison screw or bayonet, and bulb types come in both. All types of bulbs, from what I've seen at Bunning's.

Also, all bulb types are being phased out and replaced with LED's. You can even get little fittings that fit torches and everything.
          In some fixture cases, it's not the socket itself but literally the fixture will not fit any other kind of bulb. As an example, some lamps are designed with a very specific bulb in mind - A tiny flame-shaped candelabra-base bulb, and a larger bulb, even with the same base, will absolutely NOT fit.

If even candelabra bases are being phased out, that means people will have to spend a lot of money to replace entire fixtures just to replace bulbs. I can see a LOT of consumers being VERY unhappy, especially if they JUST put those fixtures in this year, and find out in a year or two that they need to drop money that they may or may not have at that time to replace the fixture entirely just so they can replace the light bulbs.
          Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

Quoth dakhur View Post

To clarify, for non-Aussies, Bunnings is a hardware chain...which more or less has the monopoly on hardware

IKEA has a lot of good bulbs too
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth ThirdGenRetail View Post
              In some fixture cases, it's not the socket itself but literally the fixture will not fit any other kind of bulb. As an example, some lamps are designed with a very specific bulb in mind - A tiny flame-shaped candelabra-base bulb, and a larger bulb, even with the same base, will absolutely NOT fit.

If even candelabra bases are being phased out, that means people will have to spend a lot of money to replace entire fixtures just to replace bulbs. I can see a LOT of consumers being VERY unhappy, especially if they JUST put those fixtures in this year, and find out in a year or two that they need to drop money that they may or may not have at that time to replace the fixture entirely just so they can replace the light bulbs.
              On the positive side, I'm starting to see LED bulbs that mimic the form of regular incandescents. For instance, I got some 60 watt equivalents that just appear to be a flattened frosted bulb (dunno why the flat shape - if it were rounder, you'd never know it was LED). So hopefully that kind of thing makes it to market before the old ones are gone.
              Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                On the positive side, I'm starting to see LED bulbs that mimic the form of regular incandescence. For instance, I got some 60 watt equivalents that just appear to be a flattened frosted bulb (dunno why the flat shape - if it were rounder, you'd never know it was LED). So hopefully that kind of thing makes it to market before the old ones are gone.
                I call those lollipop bulbs.

I recently bought some candelabra LED bulbs that came with a converter base that will let them but used in a regular size socket.

I'm still waiting for LED bulbs to come in the higher wattage ratings (200-250 watts incandescent equivalent). I'm not holding my breath.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Grocery stores still carry incandescents. My local one had 25-watt bulbs for 89 cents a package, and of course they're all gone after that sale.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

40 watt incandescents will probably be available long after others are off the shelf. Why? Because the electronic components involved in CFLs and LEDs don't like extreme temperatures such as those found in fridges and ovens (appliance bulbs are generally 40 watt).
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X