This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man oh man . . . self sighting

I'm at the beach for a nursing conference. I'm giving my first poster presentation. I am very exciting; I'm presenting on a new teaching tool for simulation that I invented and have been using for the past several semesters now.

I showed up a day too early

I made my reservations months ago. The past couple of weeks I've been putting the finishing touches on my presentation, and doing preliminary work to turn it into an article for publication in a nursing journal. It's been a LOT of work. Plus, I've been very busy grading papers and writing a big report for a major legal case I'm involved in.

I've been busier than a one legged man at an ass kicking contest. My few posts here of late are one of my few guilty pleasures.

So I'm getting everything together to head on down here. It's a four hour drive. I look at my hotel reservation and in a panic realize I have the wrong dates. I should be staying Wed night and the conference is Thursday and Friday (so two nights).

So I call the hotel and they happily fix it for me.

I make the drive. Get down here. Have a nice dinner. Get back to my room to do a little work, go over the agenda.

Oh shit.

I had it right the first time. The conference is Friday/Saturday.

Here's how I got confused. I come to this same hotel every spring for a different conference. That conference is always Thursday/Friday meaning I come down on a Wednesday and leave Friday. My brain misfired and thought about days of week as opposed to the actual dates.

So here I am paying for an extra night at the hotel. I have to. To drive home and back tomorrow would cost me as much in gas as I'd spend on the hotel.

I'm so stupid.

Well, at least I'll get to enjoy the beach. As long as I don't sprain dislocate my ankle again. Yes. It's THAT hotel . . . with THAT beach.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Soooo, you're whining because you have an extra day off work and get to spend it at the beach. You know you're still going to write all three nights off as a business expense.

*SS is my sis, so I get to harass her over stuff like this.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
      Any and all siblings are considerably surplus to requirements... as my 4 little brothers and 4 little sisters were schooled...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Soooo, you're whining because you have an extra day off work and get to spend it at the beach. You know you're still going to write all three nights off as a business expense.

Actually, the state won't reimburse me for today because it's not part of the conference. And technically I should take a sick or personal day because I should have been in the office today.

Fortunately for me, the ADN coordinator told me to take a comp day because I had to go do a site evaluation about a week ago for one of my clinic adjuncts to evaluate a student complaint (which was baseless).

I did enjoy spending some time for a nice long walk along the shore this morning though. It was really nice
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I did enjoy spending some time for a nice long walk along the shore this morning though. It was really nice
          Maybe what really happened was your brain decided to give you a forced day off, which it sounds to me like you really needed.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
            Actually, the state won't reimburse me for today because it's not part of the conference. And technically I should take a sick or personal day because I should have been in the office today.
            Forget the state, I'm talking taxes.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Forget the state, I'm talking taxes.
              Oh. Well, yes. Most certainly

Comment

Early last year I took a weekend away to a sci-fi convention (don't laugh) in North Wales and booked in to stay Friday to Monday. Gives me perfect chance to party the Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, right?

Yeah, except the convention finished on the Saturday night. There was nothing else in the area to do, apart from a castle to look around, and I'd already looked around that on the Saturday morning.

Comment

I am very exciting; I'm presenting on
                  Yes. Yes you are.

brain misfired and thought about days of week as opposed to the actual dates.
                  If it's any consolation, I've done that as well, and I'm pretty sure that a group gathering that I attended often back in the 90's decided to change to 'third weekend in October' instead of the previously used dates for just that sort of reason.

Quoth retro View Post
                  I took a weekend away to a sci-fi convention (don't laugh)
                  I suspect that 'round here, a SF con is almost mundane.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Yes. Yes you are.
                    Ooops.

Comment

Working...
                    X