This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to check his equipment

I was at a TA the other day, and headed to the shop (for non-truckers, all TA and Petro truck stops have full-service garages) to sign-in to get a problem with my tractor looked at. At the counter were 2 drivers from $large_trucking_company who wanted to borrow a cutter to remove the lock from the load bar rack on one of their tractors. Anyone who has dealt with a mechanic knows that if you want to borrow tools, you've got 2 chances (slim and fat), and slim just left town.

What had happened was that one driver was on his first run without his trainer. After he left the yard, he found out that there were no trip sheets in the truck (the other driver from his company was able to lend him some), and that the last driver to use the tractor had left a lock on the load bar rack. After verifying that the company name on his ID badge matched the tractor, and that his key opened the door (i.e. he was supposed to have access to this tractor), I lent him my bolt cutters to remove the lock (the rack was empty, so it wasn't as if he were trying to steal the load bars).

Since he was fresh out of training, how could he NOT have done a thorough check of the tractor to be sure that it was suitable to go out (i.e. in addition to being roadworthy, he had all the proper paperwork and could access all storage compartments)?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Quoth wolfie View Post
    how could he NOT have done a thorough check of the tractor to be sure that it was suitable to go out (i.e. in addition to being roadworthy, he had all the proper paperwork and could access all storage compartments)?
    Um... do you REALLY want the answer to that question? You probably already know it anyway.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Just because he had training doesn't mean that a) it was good training and/or b) he paid attention. Someone has to graduate at the bottom of their class.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Of course, the burning question is why NEITHER of the drivers had bolt cutters. I'd like to see what happens if one of them picks up a load at a shipper that uses bolt seals - they wouldn't be able to open the trailer when they get to the consignee.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I am not going to tell you what crossed my mind when I saw the thread title.

God, my mind is in the gutter today...

ANYWAY....my brother drove trucks for a while. He would have been shaking his head at this guy.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            I am not going to tell you what crossed my mind when I saw the thread title.

God, my mind is in the gutter today...

So glad I'm not alone down here in the sewers today. I did bring some beer and chips. Care to have a drink with me?
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              So glad I'm not alone down here in the sewers today. I did bring some beer and chips. Care to have a drink with me?
              Pass the booze! I'll order pizza!

Comment

As long as it's white sauce pizza.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Since he was fresh out of training, how could he NOT have done a thorough check of the tractor to be sure that it was suitable to go out (i.e. in addition to being roadworthy, he had all the proper paperwork and could access all storage compartments)?
                  I'm guessing his trainer has either been prompting him all the time (so he hasn't actually needed to memorise all that stuff), or just doing it himself (habit? impatience? equals bad training either way).

Comment

I actually kinda see this as a good thing wolfie. We all forget something or another when we start and train for a new job. At least this one wasn't safety or road readiness related. As an extra benefit, you've got a lot of years of good karma coming your way - not just from that guy, but from all those future recipients who won't receive locked up loads because I bet he won't forget THAT again.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                      Sure, the local place does a pretty decent one with olive oil, cheese and I think onions. Yumm...!

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                        after earlier comments, I'd probably pass on that one

Comment

*snicker* Though the reason I said it is perfectly innocent. I am allergic to tomatoes. Very allergic. Even small amounts trigger a life threatening reaction.

Comment

Working...
                          X