This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    Yeah, we're getting a remodel early next year. Our store is pretty sad. I've been saving up a post about it, but don't really know where to put it.
    "General Work Chat" would probably be the best place.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

At the DMV where I work, we do cut a bit of slack.

First of all, it can get extremely noisy. I know how to project, so everyone hears me (one customer told me the windows shook when I called a number), but some clerks barely make a dent in the noise level.

Secondly, we do have public restrooms, and sometimes you hit a streak of up to 6 or 7 numbers in a row where no one responds. So you can be sitting there, and you really need to go. There are 10 more numbers in front of you -- sure I got enough time. But in those two minutes, we fly through 15 numbers, and you come out to find we are way past you. In that case, we instruct customers to stand in a certain spot, so that the next available clerk will wait on them.

There was one day, though, the customers put me to the test. First one guy comes up to me and says that he missed his number. We're about 10 numbers past, and I asked him where he was. Outside, having a smoke. Now at this point, I knew we hadn't shot through any numbers for at least an hour, so I tell him to get a new number and start over. He does so, and sits directly in front of me, glaring.

Then up comes another guy. Same thing. Outside having a smoke, and we are now 12 numbers past his. Well, with Guy1 glaring at me, do you think my answer will be any different?

Then, a young couple walks in. They look at the number display, and then glance at the number in her hand. They walk over to where the public bathrooms are, and for about 30 seconds are out of sight. Then they walk up to me. She was in the bathroom and missed her number. I smile my evil wolf smile at her, "I saw you walk in one minute ago, and we passed your number 20 minutes ago."

Busted! But she tries to bluff her way out: "I was using the bathroom at the Diner." The one down the road. My evil wolf smile widens. "Okay, we'll take another number." You betcha!
      To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
      To pursue it with forks and hope;
      To threaten its life with a railway share;
      To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

I feel your pain. I work in a deli of a supermarket. We have the electronic take a number system. We are an extremely high volume store/department and people constantly do this. I don't mind if we are not super busy going back and helping someone who missed their number. However, on an average Sunday when we easily have 500+ customer numbers and 100+ kiosk orders (those little computers that let you enter in your deli order and come back for it.) No. We call a number 3 times, the third is last call for #xxx and then you are done. People have been waiting up to 15minutes in line and it's not fair to them if someone comes back 10 numbers later and cuts back in line. I get yelled at every Sunday for this but. It's not official store policy but we still do it. Exceptions are made of course, such as an elderly person whose hearing is bad or the mom I had yesterday who had to RUN her child to the bathroom because he almost had an accident on the floor.

Comment

Working...
        X