This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel bad about being mad over this

I'm pretty much locked in my current profession. I got into it as a temporary 2-4 week paycheque until something better was found and ten years later, my resume reads "office mover for past ten years" and any interest in me is gone. So my only hope for escape is to become one of my clients and be the guy who gives us idiot movers their marching orders. I've got a few clients who got the job just like that, being in the business for years, then being at the right place at the right time.

Unfortunately, I've never been at that right place at the right time, then I hear that there was a right place, but someone else was there at the right time. It's not guaranteed yet, but apparently this kid has got the inside track on landing the job. I want to be happy for him but I just can't, it's just not fair. I'm the hard worker. I'm the well educated one. I'm the all purpose guy who can do it all. This kid is lazy as hell, he half asses literally everything he does. The only reason he graduated high school was because of the lackadaisical approach to grading they are now forced to use, where showing up gets you a pass. And this kid can't do a thing; he can't develop a plan of action, he can't use tools, and he has no interest to learn any of it. He's happy as he is, making just enough to cover some expenses, then leeching off his grandparents, smoking as much weed as he can get his hands on, and playing video games. I mean he's only 20, he could still grow up and become a man, but he seems to want to be 16 years old for life.

I mean, good for him, maybe a good job will actually straighten him out (but that's unlikely, his role model at this place is a mail room guy who shows up an hour late, takes two hours of smoke breaks a day, takes a two hour lunch, watches youtube for two hours, loads a cart for a couple of minutes, then leaves an hour early). He doesn't deserve this job and he doesn't need it, he just fell into it by being at the right place, and kissing the right ass. Me, I need this job, I'm a family man, I need the better pay and my body needs the lighter workload. I don't really want to derail things for him, but I've got to put a bug in their ear that they can do much better with me.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Hopefully they require a drug test?

Quoth evilhomer View Post
    Me, I need this job, I'm a family man, I need the better pay and my body needs the lighter workload. I don't really want to derail things for him, but I've got to put a bug in their ear that they can do much better with me.
    It's never a good idea to bad-mouth a coworker to a client. Even if it's completely true, it will make you and your company look bad. Do you have any contacts at this client that know and like you enough to put in a good word? Especially anyone who has seen or been involved with a prior move. You'll need to find out who to speak with to apply for the position and try to find out who the decision maker is. They're the person you need to impress. Show them you're a go-getter, have the passion, skills, experience and education. And it certainly doesn't hurt to explain how you create the plan of action and supervise the moves.

Good luck.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The only good news I see is that _IF_ this clown gets the job he tanks it within a week with his non-extant work ethic and after-hours activities. And that assumes he passes the drug test...

Best of luck to you!

Comment

The problems are number 1, I'm only there once in a while. He's kissed enough ass to be liked enough to be the go to guy at this place. Also, nothing is official regarding a new job. There's a guy leaving and he may or may not be replaced. They may just hire the kid in his current capacity as an outside contractor, just more often or it could just be mentioned to bring him in to the staff. I doubt there'd even be an application process where I'd have a chance to get in.

Thanks to the low standards at this place, the kid could actually be good at the job. Performing 4 hours of actual work in your 8 hour shift blows these guys away and makes them think you're a star, as lazy as he is, he can pull this off.

Overall though, I know better than to bad mouth anybody. I know how badly that can backfire. I'd just like to let them know that there's a much better person available right in front of them. Unfortunately, I don't have the privacy or relationship with the decision makers to pull this off subtly.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
        X