This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom has had a rough year

My mother has had a terrible year. Last fall, about this same time, she started coughing up small amounts of blood but still a small enough amount that she was able to hide the evidence. Come January, she finally told me since she was scheduled for a bronchoscopy. The pulmonologist came out and explained that the tumor(s) were too far in to be able to get a biopsy and she would have to be referred for surgery. Move forward to February, she goes inpatient for a partial lung removal (removed the left lung all but the bottom lobe). She was diagnosed with lung cancer but they surgeon said that the surgery removed all traces. Mom was inpatient for several days but was finally released home and slowly started making progress. Pathology did return a positive CLL diagnosis but we're not terribly concerned with that diagnosis at this time. No issues and she sees the oncologist very regularly. (Oncologist and pulmonologist are wife/husband and work actively together to ensure wonderful care.)

Over the course of this year, she has had multiple issues, some related to the lung issue, some not. Since about July, she has been battling pneumonia in the right lung and over the course of 3 months and 3 rounds of antibiotics, she was still not cleared. Que another bronchoscopy. Turns out that the antibiotics were doing no good since it was a fungal infection, not bacterial. She finally got insurance approval for the appropriate anti-fungal medication the physician wanted her to take.

For nearly 2 weeks now, she still feeling pretty rough. Slightly elevated fever, cough with bloody mucous, and aches/pains under the shoulder blades. She finally got a call back yesterday from the doctor for her to get another chest x-ray and appointment with him. Apparently, the x-ray didn't look good so he sent her back over this time for a CT scan and than back to his office again. Turns out that she has now developed another pneumonia, much larger and in a different area of the right lung than that caused by the fungus. So now a 10 day round of medication that is normally 3 days.

She finally told me today that she also dropped off/turned in her rental CPAP machine as she can no longer afford it. I just about fell out of my chair. I'm actively looking locally for a new/new in box unit we can just purchase. I feel like she can probably afford the mask/tubing it's just the machine she can't fit into her budget. She has to have a unit. She had trouble restarting her breathing coming out of anesthesia. One of my wonderful friends was her nurse that day and is actually a former ICU/ER nurse so Mom was lucky to have this gal by her side. Nurse made it clear that her apnea was severe.....

I just wish Mom could feel better. She has had to miss events her grandsons have participated in that mean a lot to her. She still goes to work and still stays with her parents in 'the holler' just about every weekend, but she just feels sick all the time. If I could take part of it from her, I would....

Not looking for pity or advise (although I do take you all serious when you post) just wanted to vent a little. I'm sure my coworkers are sick of hearing me talk about Mom.

Hugs to you and your mom and vent away. That's what's the site is for!!!

Comment

Exactly. Vent away, Luna We've plenty of ears to listen with.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
        She finally told me today that she also dropped off/turned in her rental CPAP machine as she can no longer afford it. I just about fell out of my chair. I'm actively looking locally for a new/new in box unit we can just purchase.
        Are you in the U.S.? Over the past few years, there's been a lot of talk about mandatory testing for truckers who meet certain physical criteria, and mandatory CPAP machines for those found to have apnea (note - this is just the background for my suggestion, anyone who wants to discuss this should know where to go). There have been changing standards for the mandated machines, and of course with each change in standards (usually associated with the logging function, to ensure compliance by drivers) the inventory of old machines loses value.

I'm assuming that your mother doesn't need the logging function to monitor how long it's used for and when it's used. If that's the case, you might be able to get a good deal from a vendor who supplies them to truckers. There's a high probability that one of these "legislated into obsolescense" machines would run on 12 VDC, but there are adapters readily available to run 12V portable coolers off 120 VAC (adapters typically capable of delivering 6 amps, and usually under $50).
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wolfie, yes, we are in the U.S, specifically, KY. The unit she had did have to be monitored. It had a microchip she had to take in to the pharmacy to be read. At that point, she had to show at least 70% usage for the insurance to cover the rental cost (1st year is mandatory rental). As of today, her employer's new insurance goes into effect and she has to meet a $2000 deductible and then the insurance will cover 50% of the cost. I'm actively looking for a low cost unit that I can purchase since I think she can cover the accessory charges when needed.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys/gals. We are heading out on our last marching band competition of the season (5 hour drive away) and it's another event she having to miss.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
            The unit she had did have to be monitored.
            But the monitoring was for the insurance, to prove that she needed the machine. If someone buys her a used unit, the insurance won't have to pay and won't need proof of need.

Comment

Understood, Mikkel. She's turned hers in, back to the pharmacy. I've been researching since I now know what type she needs. She's found 2 herself, one has been offered for free (from a friend) but doesn't have the humidifier that she needs. The other was at a very affordable price. I just haven't talked to her in a couple of days to see if she got it.

She's actually kind of in a pissy mood right now due to the election and I have to give her time to settle in to the fact that just because she wanted a particular person to win a particular race doesn't mean....yeah, well you know. Die hard, she is!

Now that youngest DS's schedule has slowed down quite a bit, I'll be able to spend more time on the weekends with her, just visiting and not worrying. Best I can tell, the 2 meds together are helping, 1 for the fungal infection and 1 for the bacterial infection. She's not complained lately of any residual pains on breathing or any continuing blood in what she coughs.

Comment

Oh that's good. Hope y'all find a unit for her soon

Comment

Working...
                X