This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
    I had a hard time wrapping my head around this system . . . still do. But even if the hotel made a mistake (which I think they did but wouldn't admit to), the holds were still there and couldn't be released right away.
    Had a lady that happened to. She was staying at a local hotel while her house had damages repaired. She paid day by day because she didn't know how long she'd be there and didn't have a ton of extra money. They put a $400 hold on every day and separately charged her each day... so after three days, she ended up having $1600 on hold that was not reconciled from the three days she'd been charged already (usually, when an actual charge comes through, the hold is released, but the problem with the large hold is that it looks far too different for the daily charge to recognize it as the same transaction... that's the normal problem with hotels... but in this case they still shouldn't have done the big hold every single night.) and her forth day's charge was being refused.

One nice thing about working for a small bank. I am allowed to make sensible decisions even when they break policy. After some due diligence to make certain I was interpreting the situation correctly, I released every one of those holds immediately.
    Last edited by bankworking; 11-25-2014, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
      One nice thing about working for a small bank. I am allowed to make sensible decisions even when they break policy. After some due diligence to make certain I was interpreting the situation correctly, I released every one of those holds immediately.
      She was lucky. My bank was BoA at the time (well, Nations Bank, same same). They wouldn't release the holds when I called them, forcing me to call Dad for help.

When the hubs and I split about six months later was when they screwed me over on the actual credit card I got. Two strikes you're out. I changed banks after that.

I try to stick to credit unions now. They're non-profit, and their policies are so much more sensible and flexible.

After my whole debacle with BoA I ended up cutting up my remaining credit cards (with other banks), and going solo on the debit card. With care, I could rent a car or a hotel room without too much difficulty. However, starting around 2008 it got really really hard to do either. Banks were slapping on massive holds that tied up my entire account and left me no other operating money when I traveled. Still, I tried to stick it out.

When I went to Korea, I applied for a credit card because using my debit card abroad just wasn't a good idea. I figured with my bad credit at the time I'd have to get a secured card, but the CU gave me an $800 unsecured card . . . that was perfect!

My credit is MUCH better now, and my limit got raised recently because I've been using it responsibly. I'm still hesitant about credit cards because they can be financial traps. But it's so hard to rent a hotel room or a car without one, that I've given up and accepted the inevitable. I have to have one.
      Last edited by Sapphire Silk; 11-25-2014, 03:22 PM.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Just to clarify and reiterate, what we do at Elongated Hexagon is authorize your card for the amount of a one-night stay. That way, if you don't show up we get to charge you for that one night as a no-show. Jersey Marge was in a screaming rage over less than $150. When someone sets the system to authorize cards of remaining arrivals, there is no way to opt anyone out. It authorizes the card of every person still remaining in the arrivals list.
        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

A note appeared in the log book a couple of days ago stating that should Jersey Marge call back, front desk staff is not to speak with her. Only the manager or assistant managers may speak to her.

Comment

But if you can't talk to her, you won't be able to tell us what happened. 😞

Comment

Oh, I am sure the stories of Jersey Marge will flow freely from management.

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
                Oh, I am sure the stories of Jersey Marge will flow freely from management.
                The reason no one but management can speak to her is because she threatened a lawsuit.

Comment

Working...
                X