This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think you know the answer to that.

... ... but I'm just not quite sure that you actually do.

Hi all. Good to see you. I miss you.

Today I had a guy come up to the 'desk with an item and ask me its price. It was $39.99. Then he presented to me a coupon (which was still good) that claimed 25% off any item of $30 or less value.

Upon hearing me quote him the price of $39.99, he asked me if he could use the coupon on this one item. I told him no.

I mean, seriously, obviously I have to tell him no. $39.99 is not less than $30. Unless of course I am horrifically mistaken. Who knows. I am human, and I certainly am fit to err on those certain few indescribable wonderful occasions.

But then he keeps going. "But will they take the coupon? Should I try to use the coupon?"

At this point I really didn't know what to say. It's like saying
    • "But can I eat this soup with a fork?"
    • "Can I drive my car on a lake?"
    • "Can I fly across the Mojave desert on a chihuahua?"
    • "Can I walk through the floor to get to the ceiling?"
    • "Can I paint my walls green, but still have them be yellow?"
    • "Can I only make two slices on this pizza pie and have enough for nine people?"
    • "Can I give you fifty dollars and you give me back sixteen twenties in change?"
    • "Why do I have to take off my pants first to put on some underwear?"
    • "Can I melt the snow in front of my house by putting the microwave on it and turning it on?"
    • "If I run backwards, will I become younger? Or will it just turn back time. Whichever is cheaper please."

I suddenly realized I don't know why I'm making a list of things.

But really, is this what society has come to? Are people, young or old, truly exempt from reading extremely simple and obvious directions? I can understand being confused about something, but I'm really going to have to struggle hard to understand how anyone can be confused by the words "less than."
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

How dare you use such common terms to baffle customers??

it is like telling some one that they should go grab another spaghetti sauce because they are on sale buy one get one FREE and having the customer say "but I don't want to pay for two!"

LEMMING!

Comment

Or "This is buy one get one free, so it's half price for one, right? RIGHT?" Go away.

I"ll sometimes mention that if they get home and find that they really can't use two to donate the extra to a food bank/shelter. They're still only paying for one, and we get rid of inventory the way we want to. Sometimes if a regular knows I like the item in question, they'll get the two then come back and give me the extra.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        Or "This is buy one get one free, so it's half price for one, right? RIGHT?" Go away.
        At the grocery stores I shop at, generally BOGOS do ring up half price each. so I can indeed get 1 for $5 instead of two for $10. Of course, not everywhere does that, and if you don't...then you don't.

Even at Kroger, when I was buying pumpkins, the cashier explained that no, they were 8 bucks each, BOGO. So the third one that we got was full price. And yet...it was so simple. She told us, I babbled a surprised "Oh, I thought..." she explained, my light bulb went on, and I said "Oh, I get it. we'll grab a fourth on our way out." It...it was so simple. Almost as if it was not a big deal. A distinct lack of huffing, snorting, yelling or misplaced rage on my part. Amazing.

Sure enough, the pumpkin sign said quite clearly the regular price. It was just in smaller type at the bottom and I missed it.
        My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I couldn't tell you how many times during the year and a half that I worked at this one store that they would have BOGO sales that people would say they only wanted one so could they have it half off. Nope, doesn't work that way.
          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

They understand the rules, the question is code for "will you make an exception?" Sometimes management will (my old boss was awesome about keeping customers with reasonable requests happy rather than losing them). But it goes get annoying if it's the same question over and over, especially because you are statistically certain to get that one person who doesn't take "no" for an answer.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that if words aren't in text-speak and displayed on a little screen, the customer doesn't understand them.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post

"[*]"Can I only make two slices on this pizza pie and have enough for nine people?"
                Yes.If the pizza's a giant one
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

everything thinks they are entitled, thats why. i chalk it up to instant gratification and people dont bother to accept responsibility

Comment

ASM will make exceptions...for the scammers and screamers (sure, that's "keeping the customer happy"...they'll keep stealing). That way they can make us sane ones look bad; when we deny SCs they just go to ASM if he's there.
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

What's needed is for a sane customer to be present when ASM is called to deal with a scammer/screamer. Before ASM can "give away the store" to the scammer/screamer, sane customer tells him "Whatever action you take, you WILL lose a customer over it. Your choice - do you want to lose the customer who is making unreasonable demands, or do you want to lose me, since giving in to unreasonable demands results in you having to raise prices to recover the lost money?"
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X