This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here a "Notary"?

I've been wondering about doing this recently, too...

It costs very little to get started, but I'm wondering what the $10,000 for a "Notary Bond" is.

I can do it for $80 or so.

Thought I don't know what I would actually do when I was a notary...I'm not in an industry where it would be particularly useful, and I don't think people hire notary publics just to notarize things...

Thoughts??
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I know a Notary Public -- our office manager ^_^. I'll ask her when she's in later. She does our accounting and ad sales, in addition to Notary stuff for us and anyone else around who needs the assistance.

My guess would be that it serves as some sort of collateral/insurance -- as a NP, your sig and seal on something means that you verify that "what this paper says is true," to the best of your ability -- if you're wrong, well, that's likely what the bond is for.

I've encountered other NP's before, and yes, they usually have other jobs as well.
    Last edited by EricKei; 11-04-2014, 06:37 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      I don't think people hire notary publics just to notarize things...
      You would be surprised about that. You probably won't make a living as a notary, but there is potential for a good income stream.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        My guess would be that it serves as some sort of collateral/insurance -- as a NP, your sig and seal on something means that you verify that "what this paper says is true," to the best of your ability -- if you're wrong, well, that's likely what the bond is for.

I've encountered other NP's before, and yes, they usually have other jobs as well.
        In handling some of the paperwork for my mother's estate, I had to get a couple documents notarized. The "handy" notary worked at a shipping store - makes sense that such a place would also offer notary services.

It's not so much that "what this paper says is true", but "the person who signed this paper is who they claimed to be".
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've used JPs (Justice of the Peace - equivalent position) to sign that 'this is a true and correct copy of the original document'. It's very handy if said JP works someplace that has a photocopier.

But yes, the JPs I've seen/used have simply been people who worked some other job, but the workplace had a little sign someplace that said that JP services were available.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My bank has a notary, as long as you have accounts there they will notarize things for free. Usually they just watch you sign some document and them stamp it to say, "Yeah, I saw this person personally sign this so the signature is authentic."
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I literally will only hire office staff that are notaries or are planning on becoming them during their trial period. They do not notarize things on a daily basis, but it is such a time saver for any of my managers to have access to a notary at any time with all the paperwork we deal with.

Comment

My apologies for the late reply -- yes, a Notary Bond is exactly what we all figured -- basically insurance. Our office manager/Notary pays $50 at each yearly renewal. She had never heard of a $10K bond.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  It's not so much that "what this paper says is true", but "the person who signed this paper is who they claimed to be".
                  It's exactly "the person who signed this paper is who they claimed to be," and not "what this paper says is true" at all.

Getting something notarized does not establish that the document is a true statement of fact. It only establishes that the signer is who they claim to be.

I get affidavits notarized all the time in my legal nurse consulting work. My bank offers me the service for free. I take the entire document, show the notary my driver's license, and sign the document in front of him/her. He/she then signs the document to verify that it has been notarized and applies his seal.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    I've used JPs (Justice of the Peace - equivalent position) to sign that 'this is a true and correct copy of the original document'. It's very handy if said JP works someplace that has a photocopier.

But yes, the JPs I've seen/used have simply been people who worked some other job, but the workplace had a little sign someplace that said that JP services were available.
                    My university had signs EVERYWHERE stating that there were JPs located in different places around the campus. I still used the JP at the council offices near home though: he's a good guy and would give me his own stat dec form if I needed it rather than having me pay the $1 to get one from the newsagent. (I only ever had to pull the stat dec card a few times)

Quoth Raveni View Post
                    I literally will only hire office staff that are notaries or are planning on becoming them during their trial period. They do not notarize things on a daily basis, but it is such a time saver for any of my managers to have access to a notary at any time with all the paperwork we deal with.
                    That's actually a pretty smart idea.

Over here, I remember the first time I dealt with a JP (this was to apply for my tax file number*) and I remember asking my mum what a JP actually DID. We get in and see the lady...then the lady asks me for ID.
                    Turns out that I hadn't brought along my wallet (thinking I didn't need to) and she needed to see some ID to sign off on the form. In the end, she signed it off after my mum showed HER ID and the lady admitted that my mum and I looked alike.

*-Basically a 9-digit number that businesses use to take tax out of your pay each pay cycle.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Mea culpa, I suppose I've only ever gotten documents notarized in the form of "this is a genuine copy of the original document", which is where my interpretation came from. Never had to do any where ID was concerned.

Comment

Working...
                      X