This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth catcul View Post
    That reminds me of a story. A woman was driving along when she found the barriers that said, "Road Closed," in the middle of the road. She proceeded to get out of her car, move the barriers out of the road, get back into her car, and drive said car into the creek. Why did she drive into the creek? The bridge was out.
    Back in my traffic control days w/ the university police, I had all manner of people argue with me about why the ROAD CLOSED signs shouldn't matter to them because they're a professor, important person, taxpayer, alumni, football player, whatever... and simply HAD to use that road! I always liked to tell them that even if I DID open the road up, no matter who they were, physics said they weren't going to make it over the 30 foot wide and 10 foot deep gap where they dug up that combo water/sewer main, and that's the whole reason the road's closed.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
      I always liked to tell them that even if I DID open the road up, no matter who they were, physics said they weren't going to make it over the 30 foot wide and 10 foot deep gap where they dug up that combo water/sewer main, and that's the whole reason the road's closed.
      And how many cars had to be towed out from said gap b/c they still didn't want to obey the sign?

This isn't Hollywood where cars can fly over gaps in the road like they have wings.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        This isn't Hollywood where cars can fly over gaps in the road like they have wings.
        Fun fact #1: a 1969 Dodge Charger is good for ONE jump.

Fun fact #2: the Hazzard County Sheriff's Department changed the model of car they used several times - when the local used car lots ran out of the model they had been using.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

You can jump any car over a gap. Jumping the gap is not that hard.

LANDING the car without any significant damage, on the other hand, is not nearly as easy.

Which brings us back to that old truism: Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden deceleration that does all the damage.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            You can jump any car over a gap. Jumping the gap is not that hard.

LANDING the car without any significant damage, on the other hand, is not nearly as easy.

Which brings us back to that old truism: Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden deceleration that does all the damage.
            I dunno. A projectile fired at 3500 m/s from a railgun will kill you without any appreciable deceleration... ;D
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              I dunno. A projectile fired at 3500 m/s from a railgun will kill you without any appreciable deceleration... ;D
              It's more a case of that small part of you suddenly getting ACCELERATED that does all the damage.

Discussions like this are why, out of all of comic book superheroes, the one that leaves me the most incredulous at the feasibility of their powers working, is The Flash.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                ... the one that leaves me the most incredulous at the feasibility of their powers working, is The Flash.
                AKA "Don't look, Ethel!" ssspluuurch!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  AKA "Don't look, Ethel!" ssspluuurch!
                  You're thinking of the lesser superhero, the Streak.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    Found here

Or at least that was the last place he was spotted. . .
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Oh, he was Flashing...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                      X