This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with kindy parents!

So we've started doing the rounds for the parents who are sending their little sproglets off to school the following year. We have a few who are old hands at this as they already have kids at the school and service. The rest however...not so much.

-We had one parent hand us their completed enrolment form. All looks good until we get to the section where they've ticked off a bunch of things that help us with the service we provide and if we ever need it, whether or not their child gets priority for having a place on-site*. One of the questions is about special needs: they put yes, but under the first page where we have the same question about special/dietary needs, they haven't put anything down. We asked the parent about this-turns out that his wife had filled in the form and his English wasn't that great. (to his credit, he seemed like a nice guy, just confused) We're going to follow this up with the mum when SHE arrives, but we suspect that the child's needs are communication-based. (the question where they put "yes" refers to needs that are likely to be present for 6 months or more)

-Another couple were nice and turned out to be parents who would use the service on an as-needs basis. While the coordinator and regional manager are giving the spiel about fees, I'm grabbing the fee schedule off the wall to provide this as a visual. I look up just in time to hear my regional manager explaining about CCB and CCR and the look on their face was pretty much . I yelled out "Childcare Benefit/Childcare Rebate" and the dad just said "Glad to see that someone recognised that we were looking a bit lost!" in a somewhat jokey manner. They turned out to be lovely parents, if a bit eccentric.

-One of the kids we currently look after has a little brother who will be starting school next year. At the moment, mum or dad has been picking their child up with the little brother in tow. The little brother now happily comes up to us and says "hello!" before showing off whatever he's been doing at preschool. I foresee one very smooth transition next year.

-Finally, one parent pretty much handed over her child's allergy and asthma information stating to us "The doctor gave me these and an epipen, but said that chances are we're not going to wind up using them." (Her kids allergies were nut-related, which is not an issue as the school is entirely nut-free.) I was a little bit stunned at her nonchalant attitude towards it, but realised afterwards that she still saw her child as a child, not as the child with allergies/asthma and that she wasn't going to be denied any opportunities.

We have 3 more rounds of this to do. Hopefully i'll have some more stories!

*-In order for us to be recognised by the government and to be able to provide parents with the rebate/benefit, we can be subject to a waiting list if we're full. Priority is awarded to those kids deemed "at-risk" (mostly foster kids), then kids who are either from single parent families, or where the childcare needs are work or study related. After that we can take anyone else. We have never needed to use this as our numbers are between 10-30 a day and we're capped at 35.
    Last edited by fireheart; 11-06-2014, 10:38 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    -Finally, one parent pretty much handed over her child's allergy and asthma information stating to us "The doctor gave me these and an epipen, but said that chances are we're not going to wind up using them." (Her kids allergies were nut-related, which is not an issue as the school is entirely nut-free.) I was a little bit stunned at her nonchalant attitude towards it, but realised afterwards that she still saw her child as a child, not as the child with allergies/asthma and that she wasn't going to be denied any opportunities.
    They're the best kind of parents.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Mind, get thyself out of the gutter. I read the title the first time through as "Fun with kinky parents"

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
        They're the best kind of parents.
        Yup and her daughter is adorable.

Comment

I love the Acronym one, reminds me of the US Army. Example of a typical week long session (a few years back),

One year at CAST, we were trained on JIIM for use in state side disaster response. Then the new research on PTS and PTSD being different, along with a speaker about WOW. We saw pictures of the new additions to USACHCS that included AFCC, AFCSI, and NCSC because the military can save resources by letting them train together. Keep up your APFT scores, we will start kicking people out (including you officers), if you keep failing.
          My favorite acronyms were
          CAC - Common Access Card (dirty mind)
          CQ - Charge of Quarters (you mean I get to sit here all day reading/gaming/watching movies. oh noes )
          DFAS - Defense Finance And Accounting System (not my 'favorite' sometimes, but they got me paid 99% of time)
          ETS - Expiration Of Term Of Service (when you leave the service. odd, I loved and hated my time in the Reserves, miss it even, but still nice to be a civilian. 2 group that count down days to freedom, military service people and prisoners. )

so many more, but I think I derailed things enough for today.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
            My favorite acronyms were
            CAC - Common Access Card (dirty mind)
            Speaking of "dirty mind", why did I first see the title of this thread as "Fun with kinky parents!"

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
              Mind, get thyself out of the gutter. I read the title the first time through as "Fun with kinky parents"
              I had to do a double take on it myself, because I read it as the same thing.
              Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                I love the Acronym one, reminds me of the US Army.
                My favorite definition that I made up: An expert is someone who knows what all the letters stand for.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                  Speaking of "dirty mind", why did I first see the title of this thread as "Fun with kinky parents!"
                  Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                  I had to do a double take on it myself, because I read it as the same thing.

Love how the forum brings out the gutter minds!

Comment

And I have a new one. This one had my boss massively ing at this.

We've started enrolling for vacation care and a few of the new enrolments are going to another school (we don't do vacation care, the parents can either hand us the forms and we scan them to the school in question, or they can send them directly to the school). One such parent apparently decided that her child did NOT need an enrolment form and just flat-out asked us about booking her child in, somehow believing that enrolling her kid at the school gave him access to our program. Uhhh no. This was also at the dumbest time too, as they'd JUST finished their kindy orientation: where she could've asked us directly. >.>

We got that one sorted out, but dang, that was just...surreal. (She also wanted an idea of our fees...without giving us anything that would help us to determine this. Because she's a single parent, she'd get a bit more)

Comment

Working...
                    X