1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet ingredients:
    2 cups Veggie puree (instructions follow)
    1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
    3 large eggs
    1/3 cup chocolate chips, melted
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well with a whisk. In another bowl combine wet ingredients, then add chocolate chips and the flour mix. Mix til just combined, breaking up any remaining large pieces of brown sugar.

Spoon the batter into lined muffin tins and bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes (until a toothpick comes out mostly clean). Fill the cups most of the way. Cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Veggie Puree:

1 medium carrot, shredded or grated (about 1/2 cup)
    1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
    2 medium ripe bananas, peeled
    1/4 to 1/2 cup half and half
    up to 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Steam the carrots and partially thaw the spinach. In a blender or food processor puree the carrots, spinach, bananas and half and half til the mix is smooth. Pour into a large measuring cup, add heavy cream to make 2 cups. Mix well.

Notes:
    I'm still not sure about putting the sugar in with the dry mix, but it seems to have baked up well. I am at high altitude, if you decide to try this at home you may need to decrease the flour by up to half a cup, and the baking soda by 1/2 teaspoon.

I baked a lot of mine in silicone tart cups I have (discovered a distinct lack of enough regular size muffin liners in my pantry. Ooops. ). They baked up nicely fluffy, and then when you bite into them not quite dissolve into chewy fudge that tastes of chocolate and banana. After cooling completely, a more cake-like texture is being retained. I couldn't see or taste any veggie bits. I think frosting would be overkill. The bits and clumps of brown sugar that remained in the batter turned into neat crunchy caramel bits on the tops of the muffins.

Changes I'm thinking of for next time: double carrot and spinach, reduce banana to one, decrease sugar by 1/4 cup, increase melted chocolate to 1/2 cup.

My recipe is based on, and adapted from Joy of Baking Chocolate Muffins Recipe.
    Last edited by Kittish; 11-07-2014, 11:08 AM. Reason: Pic, comments, corrections....
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga
Working...
X