Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think one of my coworkers learnt to chew with his mouth closed or without smacking his lips several times per mouth full.

I can't be around him when he's eating

Comment

I used to sit next to That Guy on one of my old accounts. I swear he went through and entire bag of potato chips a day...
      Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
      They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Actually, in many Asian cultures, you're supposed to slurp your food when you eat. Swishing the drink around, though, is not anything I've ever heard of.

Comment

My roommate in college is why, to this day, I cannot stand to hear people eat.

Quoth strawbabies View Post
          Actually, in many Asian cultures, you're supposed to slurp your food when you eat.
          Then maybe somebody needs to clue her in that most people outside of her culture find it disgusting and rude.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
            Actually, in many Asian cultures, you're supposed to slurp your food when you eat. Swishing the drink around, though, is not anything I've ever heard of.
            That was immediately what I thought of, however I didn't think slurping drinks (or swishing) was part of that. I specifically remember it being soup, and such. I mean, I was with my host family eating out a lot, and really, the only thing they slurped was soup. I would have noticed, because that sort of thing bugs me. I bet you can't get her to stop, either. I mean, the cultural thing would make it hard because it brings discrimination into it. Not that it is, just that people sometimes jump to conclusions, I guess.
            Last edited by notalwaysright; 11-12-2014, 10:42 PM.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Is your work environment one where you can (not so) subtly put earplugs in while she eats?

I will admit to doing that a couple of times when a parent will ignore a screaming child/baby in the store (I have a low pain threshold for loud upper-mid frequency sounds - right where a baby's cry is)

Comment

I get customers doing that on the phone sometimes. Grosses me out. I make a point of asking them lots of questions so they have to stop chomping, crunching and slurping to answer me.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My roommate's one of those people - eats like it hurts his face. His entire relationship with food is pretty suspect, if you want the truth. He always eats like he wants to get it over with as fast as possible, while mixing as much air as he can with the food.

Just a few moments of his Lestrygonian slurping, as he devours whatever's on his plate in less than five minutes, would have sent my father into conniptions. (Dad was by no means genteel, but he had a very low tolerance for slurping and smacking.)

I'm surrounded by people who bring their table manners to work. It's annoying.

Comment

Your housemate must be related to mine.

She inhales food. Seriously, a dinner plate of food gone within a couple of minutes. I don't know how she does it.

And she chews cruskits with her mouth open. <runs screaming, hands over ears>

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
                      Your housemate must be related to mine.

She inhales food. Seriously, a dinner plate of food gone within a couple of minutes. I don't know how she does it.
                      Huh. Off topic but I spent a lot of time with my grandma as a kid, and she ate super slow. My family would joke that she could eat breakfast until lunch, and lunch until dinner. I eat the same way. Slow. If I eat fast, I feel sick. My mom, on the other hand, eats fast. She does not smack, however. I think it's because she had five brothers, and copied what they did, which was eat crazy fast. She does GULP her water, though. I can hear it across the room, and I don't like it, but it's not a big deal.

Side note, today someone was chewing gum while I helped them... Wow, she managed to chew it with her mouth open, and very... wetly. Ha! That's a word. Anyway, I didn't like it.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                      X