Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduation and pondering the future...

Well, the semester is pretty much officially over (though I have summer school starting on the 24th...) then I have one more semester left, which if I pass, I will be eligible to graduate and claim my Bachelor of Arts degree. As such, I've been doing more than a little bit of pondering over the past couple of weeks about what my future will be after I graduate.

With graduation looming on the horizon (currently due to graduate in July if I pass all my papers), I have an important choice to make - what I want to do after I graduate. I've narrowed my choices down to 3 options at the moment, one of which was something I had not contemplated until fairly recently, but seems rather enticing to be honest as it would open some avenues both in NZ and overseas.

1. Go back into the workforce and work on my books in my downtime. A bit of a boring option, but probably the safest of the options. If I did this path, I would likely go back into bus driving for a time.

2. Find a job in a writing related field, such as at a publishing company, newpaper/magazine firm or something similar - a little more risky as it would require me finding a solid job offer prior to graduation so that I'm not left job hunting after I graduate

3. Continue studying, applying to do a Postgraduate Diploma in Tertiary Teaching - this is a 1 year full time paper, so I would be done with it by July 2016, if I took this path and graduated, I could take up a job teaching creative writing at University level, whether it be in New Zealand or overseas.

I'm kind of tempted to do option 3, but I know it means that I will have another year of study ahead of me, plus an even bigger student loan bill by the time I graduate (though I will have a Bachelors Degree AND a graduate diploma under my belt) On the other hand, it will open up a LOT of options for me since teachers are typically in demand around the world, meaning I could easily teach abroad if I wanted to do so. SO HARD TO DECIDE!!!!
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Back when I was in the process of finishing up my BA I had some similar options available to me, and I had planned on going into teaching high school (I have no patience for littles so teaching elementary was right out, even if I could fulfill the math requirements). Many school are looking for a specific blend of disciplines you could teach so I would recommend researching what schools are looking for what you are able to teach.

I'm working in a call center at the moment (two years after graduating) but I am still looking for something that is a better fit. I have written a variety of things over the years - from flashcards to teach kids how to spell all the way up to technical manuals for a specific line of laptops. And, of course, a bevy of English, History, and Folklore papers while in university. Come to think of it, I'm only one credit short of a Folklore minor...I've got a double major in English and History already.

Follow your dreams though, and never be afraid of taking a job that you might not want to do for the rest of your life. Nobody says you have to stay at that job - keep your options open!

Comment

My Bachelor of Arts degree is majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Japanese History and Culture, so realistically if I was to teach, it would be creative writing based, such as voices, storylines, characters, etc etc.
      Violets are blue,
      Roses are red,
      I bequeath to thee...
      A boot to the head >_>

Comment

This is a hard topic to advise anyone on because I really don't know you and what you're like, and only you can know what's best for you.

My suggestion would be leave being a bus driver as a last resort. You want to move forward with your life, not backwards.

Start job hunting now for something in publishing. Intern, if you can, during the Spring to see if it would appeal to you.

If you decide it's not for you, or you really prefer the idea of teaching then stay in school and get the teaching certificate. Whatever you choose should be a step in a new direction and a new challenge. It's scary but it will pay the most dividends.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Internship is not an option as I will be doing summer school, which is full time study.

Thinking going on to do the postgrad diploma will be my best bet.
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Working...
          X