This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing the Correct Script iz Hard

I have to laugh about this, because if I don't, I'll get super duper angry.

I have a stomach problem that requires copious amounts of nausea meds throughout the day. My favorite kind are the dissolve on my tongue kind, because trying to swallow pills when you're nauseous/vomiting is torturous and there's no guarantee I can keep the pill down.

The issue is that my insurance will pay for exactly 8 or 9 of the ODT (orally dissolving tablets). I told my doctor that and his reaction was, "Get new insurance". Lovely

So, I had to give his PA a call a couple weeks after my appointment, because he forgot to write the prescription for the non-ODT nausea med. I told her to make sure it's just regular nausea med. DO NOT write ODT. She says that's fine, she'll try to remember to not write ODT. I get a call from Three Letter Pharmacy telling me my script is ready and....ODT. Great.

My doctor calls me directly with test results a couple days later and I tell him again that I need the anti-nausea meds in non-ODT form. He tells me sure, absolutely, non-ODT it is.

Get a call from CVS telling me my script is ready to pick up. I joke with the tech that I want to make sure my doctor wrote the prescription right. She goes over to find my prescription and blanches.

Another copay later. I left a message with his PA again this morning. I am not a happy ray of sunshine at the moment.

The tech told me that if they're sending the prescription through electronically, ODT is probably the first option.

I'm afraid to see how they write scripts for more important meds. My particular GI doctor also specializes in liver issues (like cirrhosis, Hep, etc.).

They're overworked. When you're seeing a patient every 10 minutes, these mistakes happen.

It's no excuse. Quote the contrary. They need to take more care.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I have to give credit to my local pharmacy. The pharmacists patiently answer my questions and explain things in detail. My favorite pharmacist was a big bear of a man with a dry manner and who gave off a don't-take-shit vibe. He was awesome. Too bad I think he moved to another location somewhere.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If you're taking ondansetron ODT, and your insurance isn't paying for more than 12 a month (this B.S. started back when they cost $30.00 a tablet, so it made sense at the time), then rather than going to the Chain of Verylarge Stores, see if you can find an independent pharmacy who isn't greedy, and pay them cash.

(If they're charging more than a dollar a tablet, they're greedy.)

Comment

I got a call back from the PA about a half an hour before the office closed last night. She told me that there's some kind of error where it reverts to the ODT?

I finally got the regular ondansetron and my Rx insurance is still only covering 9, so, now, I have to call them and figure out why. If that can't be resolved, then I'll have to go independent. The issue is that I need 100 pills essentially (four times a day).

Between the issues with the prescriptions and some other stuff, I'm actually looking into getting a new GI doc next year.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
            I got a call back from the PA about a half an hour before the office closed last night. She told me that there's some kind of error where it reverts to the ODT?

I finally got the regular ondansetron and my Rx insurance is still only covering 9, so, now, I have to call them and figure out why. If that can't be resolved, then I'll have to go independent. The issue is that I need 100 pills essentially (four times a day).

Between the issues with the prescriptions and some other stuff, I'm actually looking into getting a new GI doc next year.
            Don't blame you. Any idea why the constant nausea?
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My initial diagnosis was gastroparesis, but since I got C. Diff last month (due to antibiotic use), he's decided it's IBS-A lol

I talked to my actual prescription insurance and all I had to do was do a pre-authorization request. That's it. They fax the information to the doctor, doctor calls, answers questions, done.

Initially, when I told my doctor that I wasn't get sufficient approval on the ODT and asked for a suggestion, he told me to get new insurance.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
                My initial diagnosis was gastroparesis, but since I got C. Diff last month (due to antibiotic use), he's decided it's IBS-A lol

I talked to my actual prescription insurance and all I had to do was do a pre-authorization request. That's it. They fax the information to the doctor, doctor calls, answers questions, done.

Initially, when I told my doctor that I wasn't get sufficient approval on the ODT and asked for a suggestion, he told me to get new insurance.
                Yeah, he's an idiot. Most people have to change jobs to change insurance. Even if you get it on the independent market or the exchanges, open enrollment is only once a year. You have to have a life changing event to change your insurance mid year.

Doctor is a fucking idiot. He must be one dumb old fart, or very inexperienced.

I have IBS; I only get nauseated when I get badly constipated. A bit of ginger ale is enough to fix it typically until things work themselves out. Gastroparesis makes much more sense to me; definately sounds like you need a second opinion.

Comment

He's supposed to be a motility doctor. I had IBS up until I started getting the symptoms of the gastroparesis. I had IBS-D. GP fixed that real good.

I went with him, because my PCP recommended him due to them being out of the same network of doctors. There's a great practice about an hour south of me that is part of a certain Ivy League school and is recommended by GP patients.

Thank you so much! I was really starting to pull my hair out over this nonsense. I shouldn't complain, because I only have an $8 copay, but it's still quite frustrating to have to go to the pharmacy over and over, because the incorrect script was written.

Comment

Call your insurance company and see if there is a prior authorization procedure to get more authorized. I'm surprised the pharmacy hasn't already attempted this.
                    http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X