X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time for my favourite game...

Holiday Care Roulette!

See, during the holidays, we do not offer Vacation Care at my centre (we don't have the numbers or space to do so). We aren't the only centre that does this, so staff at these centres get placed elsewhere for the holiday period. Usually it's with some of the kids from their centre so they feel more familiar.

Now they're starting the process of preparing for this, which can result in me being placed at one of up to possibly FIVE sites:

-Site A (was there when I first started, bigger than ours overall, but the numbers are similar)
    -Site B (a fellow infants school like mine* but low numbers. I may actually have a chance this time as my former coordinator can no longer try and pull some strings to be offered a spot*** )
    -Site C (the site I was at last term. VERY big)
    -Site D (brand new, has only been open for a couple of terms but is also a brand new school)
    -Site E (VERY brand new, has only been open for a few weeks. Still possible, but unlikely**)

I've seen Site C's program already. My partner is jealous.

At least the regional manager does it, instead of me having to fight with my computer tooth and nail

*-Only goes from K-2.
    **- This school is closer to mine than the school where the majority of my brood go for the holidays (Site C), so there's a chance I may be placed there. I'm worried though as the school has only JUST changed over and there's still some resentment about us taking over.
    ***-One of my former coordinators used to pull some strings last term to get herself into a small program at Site B, which annoyed me to no end. She can't do this anymore as she's a casual staff member at Site A and Site D and does not have the necessary ability to memorise an email address so she can email the coordinator there.

ETA: OK, maybe not Site D (they go to Site F)
    Last edited by fireheart; 11-26-2014, 12:42 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

K-2, for those who don't know the Australian school system, is Kindergarten to 2nd grade.

Most students start school (1st grade) the year they turn 6, though depending on birth month and academic ability, some start the year they turn 5. (I did, for example.)

Kindergarten and/or pre-school (terminology varies) can start any time from when a toddler is suitably potty trained and capable of behaving well enough in a group, as I understand it. Fireheart will know that better than me.

The different states have slightly different school systems, but I think we all finish junior high (originally for tradesmen and other non-academics) at year 10, and senior (originally intended for those heading for university studies) at year 12.
    Now most employers require either year 12, or qualifications from a trade school or apprenticeship program. (Many tradesmen still take apprentices, and will accept them from year 10.)
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

K-2, for those who don't know the Australian school system
      Aside from the (almost?) total lack of tradeschools here (students must attend until age 16, most stay through 12th), the only major difference between what you described and the US is that we use "pre-school" to refer to the time prior to Kindergarten (which is the final year prior to 1st grade); at some schools, "Pre-K" for the final year before Kindergarten.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Aaaaand the roulette has finally landed on....Site A!

Basically we had a meeting and during that time, we brought up some of my stresses, such as the holiday program. I was given a choice between Site A and C. My boss is going to Site B for two reasons: she's still very new (not to childcare, but to school-aged care) and because we have a number of new kindy sproglets going there.
        I opted for Site A as it was more convenient and easier to handle. The site is also very well-run and more organised than Site C, which was like organised chaos. >.>
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
        X