Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The type of shirt will not change the answer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The type of shirt will not change the answer.

Another entitlement whore stalking me.

I'm watching SCO. A customer's card gets declined and she beckons me over (how I wish I could flat-out refuse stuff like that; you don't know how to properly ask for help, you don't get help). She was shopping for someone else and was given the wrong card; the credit card she was given had been cancelled for' some reason' (it still had the 'remove after activating' sticker intact so I wonder). She wants to know if she can have the stuff delivered and pay on delivery, or barring that she could give a card number over the phone.

We don't and have never done that; the only 'pay on delivery' I've seen for groceries is if I buy something with my own money and the person pays me when I drop it off (sometimes I will do shopping for an elderly neighbor who doesn't like going out in bad weather). Pay by phone; no.
    Me: "No, we don't do that."
    EW: "Go check for me!"
    Me: "I cannot leave this area. You can ask at the desk but I can tell you we do not do that."
    EW: "But I have to do that! I don't want to come back here!"
    *then you should have made sure the card worked before leaving the residence* Me: "We don't do that. You need to pay in-store; it can be delivered later but we charge for that."
    EW: "I need to do this! Can you get a manager?"
    The only way I can page/find a manager is to go to the desk; there is a line, the same line she is trying to avoid.
    Me: "There is a line; you are going to have to wait either way. They will tell you the same thing I am; we cannot do that." I do see Shithead and F over by the manager podium (out of EW's sightline); they both look to be involved in something but EW is getting on my nerves so I go to the desk for show and then pop around the corner when she stops yelling at me and starts yelling into her phone.

Shithead: "#9 needs help."
    *thank you, I know that* Me: "F, #9 wants to know if she can pay over the phone with a credit card."
    Shithead and F: "No, we don't do that." *holycrap, Shithead is backing policy?*
    Me: "That's what I told her. Apparently my answer isn't good enough because I have a polo shirt."
    F: "As far as she knows you're a manager."
    Me: "According to her I don't know what I'm talking about, so I cannot and will not help her any more. It's busy and I have real questions to answer over there." F knows that when I say something like that the SC fired the first shot so he will let me ignore them.

Ultimately, Shithead dealt with her; I didn't see what happened but I didn't have to return the order, so I hope she didn't get to take everything.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

If

If SH really let her take anything he is a fool, a person who is too lazy to stand in line and probably to lazy to insure the card was activated is not going to pay later for goods they got for free now.

The sticker is a real tell-tale sign. I just activate my new Debit-VISA card by phone this morning and the first time I had to do was to peel off that sticker to ensure it did not cover up any info I needed during the phone call. If I see a card with the sticker still on it I will assume they have not activated it.

Comment

My card had it's major info covered by the "remove this and call to activate" sticker. I suspect that she may have been using someone's card without their consent.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

While the computer has a function that lets us key cards in manually, anything other than EBT/gift cards--which we can key in if the stripe is damaged or not reading--requires a manager override and are not supposed to be done at all (why can't there be something coded that checks the first four digits and if it's not EBT/WIC/gift it won't even accept the entry). SH is known for bending to insane requests in the guise of 'customer service' (you really think giving something away means that they will come back and spend money? Not in this town, and not now that they know they can get free shit if they yell enough). Being as F was there, I doubt SH caved though. I hope he either got another form of payment out of her or had someone else return everything.

A sticker still on a card is a red flag for me; if a card like that is declined I send them to the desk and let them deal with it.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I would bet my paycheck that she stole the card from someone's mailbox and was trying to use it, not only not activated, but probably cancelled by whomever was waiting for it. Pay over the phone with a card? Yeah, no

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
            I would bet my paycheck that she stole the card from someone's mailbox and was trying to use it, not only not activated, but probably cancelled by whomever was waiting for it. Pay over the phone with a card? Yeah, no
            I concur. Even if the customer were telling the truth, it would have been directly contravening the safeguards in place by the bank to prevent unauthorized usage, and the store would have been liable for any charges placed on an unauthorized card. In any case, the situation was suspicious at the very least, and I'd have found a way to get ID before accepting any form of payment other than cash, ID policy of the credit card company be damned.

Comment

I would bet my paycheck that she stole the card from someone's mailbox and was trying to use it, not only not activated, but probably cancelled by whomever was waiting for it.
              Definitely what it sounds like.

I actually had a guy try to pay me once with those little fake sample cards they send out with the offers. He was upset that I wouldn't take it. I mean, it's not a real credit card. He was just a moron, though. He had apparently responded to the offer and returned the paperwork the day prior, and thought that would somehow magically make his piece of cardstock legit...
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I would bet my paycheck that she stole the card from someone's mailbox and was trying to use it, not only not activated, but probably cancelled by whomever was waiting for it.
                And very likely couldn't activate it because most require the call to originate from the real customer's phone number. I found out when I tried to activate a debit card from my cell when the landline was the primary number When I used the landline that evening-no problem.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                X