This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from my coworker

Not quite sure where this belongs, since these aren't mine, rather, tales from my coworker. I think it belongs here? If not, feel free to move it

1) My coworker, M, was helping a mother and daughter. The daughter picked up a fur throw, designed in a snow leopard design. Daughter asked my coworker, "Is this made from real snow leopard?" She was apparently visibly upset and really loved the throw, but wouldn't buy it if it was made from "her favourite big cat."

Um...

As you can probably gather, this tale made it round the entire store. We all got a good laugh about it. Because it's totally plausible to think we're gonna sell items made from the fur of a critically endangered species, right?

2) M was called over to the till by a very snotty lady, who, according to M, looked like she was about to commit murder. M asked if she could help and the customer just ripped into her shouting about how we should actually make pillow cases to FIT pillows. She then added that "you WILL give me a refund and I'm not leaving until you do!"

M was having none of it. She offered to put the offending pillowcase on one of our standard sized pillows so that she could see for herself. Customer told her that she could do that, then she'll see that "You're wrong and I'm right!"

So M put the pillowcase on the pillow and guess what? It fit! So the customer said, "Well it won't fit MY pillows! Now give me that refund!"

M did the refund for her and apparently the customer was grumbling all the while over the poor service and that M clearly didn't believe her, else she wouldn't have checked that the pillow cases actually fit.

But lady. They clearly DO fit. I think she was just bummed out that she got found out. M told me that she probably got the duvet set that the pillow cases came in and suddenly didn't like it anymore. Or it was the wrong shade of colour. Guess what? If she'd have told M the truth, she'd have STILL given her a refund.

It's possible the snotty-ass bitch has King size pillows and has no idea that pillows actually come in different sizes.

In this case, I'd say it's a toss-up between changing her mind and being a bitch about it, and being bone-stupid and being a bitch about it.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      It's possible the snotty-ass bitch has King size pillows and has no idea that pillows actually come in different sizes.

In this case, I'd say it's a toss-up between changing her mind and being a bitch about it, and being bone-stupid and being a bitch about it.
      I've never heard of king size pillows, to be honest. They tend to be just one size. The pillowcases we sell are either housewife or oxford. Housewife is your standard pillowcase and oxford is basically a fancy housewife with frills around the edges. There are also continental pillows, which are large and square, but we don't sell those anyway. Oh, and also v-shaped, which we do sell (I bought one actually. It's lovely!) Hah, I'm actually wondering now if she did actually try and fit a housewife pillowcase on either a continental or a v-shaped pillow...

Comment

Most people buy standard pillows, but larger ones do exist. I've seen king and queen pillows that are sized to fit two across the top of the corresponding sized bed.

Comment

In the late 1990s, Walmart tried and failed to establish itself in Germany. There were many reasons, one of which was a failure to look at the local market. The American WM buyers assumed that pillows were standard everywhere. Nope. The German WM stores were stocked with piles of pillowcases that were unsalable because they didn't fit German pillows.

Comment

If I remember correctly (and the Internet isn't lying to me...) "Standard" pillows are 20x26 inches. "Queen" pillows are 20x30 inches, and "King" are 20x36 inches.

If she had King but bought Standard cases, then they wouldn't fit. Granted, most people would know when they bought King pillows. I make sure to get the right size cases for mine.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I think the king/queen/etc sizes are American because I'm from the UK and never even knew it was a thing.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                I think the king/queen/etc sizes are American because I'm from the UK and never even knew it was a thing.
                I didn't even realize there were queen sized pillowcases. King, yes. Sometimes people will ask me about European sizes, and get snotty when I don't know. It's funny, because it's always a certain type of SC who does this. The "closet snob." They will go from normal customer to patronizing you-know-what in a blink.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                  If I remember correctly (and the Internet isn't lying to me...) "Standard" pillows are 20x26 inches. "Queen" pillows are 20x30 inches, and "King" are 20x36 inches.

If she had King but bought Standard cases, then they wouldn't fit. Granted, most people would know when they bought King pillows. I make sure to get the right size cases for mine.
                  There are also European pillows that are big and square (26" x 26") - and fantastic for sitting up and reading against or propping behind you for having breakfast/supper in bed.
                  "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

King-size pillows are a thing; we carry some at the swamp. Probably have pillowcases to fit them too.

We also carry a square European-style pillow; don't know if we have the matching pillowcases for those.

We have a great many pillows. Probably too many.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      We have a great many pillows. Probably too many.
                      "Those aren't PILLOWS...!!!"

Comment

That's no moon...?
                        Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                        It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Working...
                        X