This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some more goodies from the Dollar Admiral

Have a bunch of new stories that have happened recently.

1)One of my regular clearance 'monsters' was doing some regular shopping for a change. She starts unloading and I start scanning, cue the bitching!

SC : Those candles are supposed to be 2/$1 and they rang up $1.50, you have to give it to me for the 2/$1 price!

SC's Hubby : Uhhhh no dear, those candles were on a peg that clearly said $1.50, the 2/$1 candles were on the peg below it.

SC : *cue pouty face and huffing* Well FINE! I don't want them!

Yeah guess who's probably still sleeping on the couch 2 weeks later

2)Corporate decided to run 4 different ad campaigns the week of Thanksgiving. We had a 4 day sale from Sunday - Wednesday, our regular weekly sale, a one day sale on Thanksgiving, and a 3 day sale from Thursday - Saturday. PLUS another clearance sale on Friday & Saturday.

Even though the ad in the newspaper did a very good job keeping all the different sales separate, that didn't stop our WONDERFUL SC's from trying to get sale prices at the wrong time.

The Thanksgiving day sale had a $50 portable DVD player on sale for $38. Great deal, except the problem was that a couple customers didn't want to wait until the sale and were willing to pay full price for them so we sold out before the sale started.

CUE THE BITCHING!!

"That's FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!! I'm gonna SUE!!11!!"

"You probably sold it to them early for the sale price didn't you!?!?!"

"You're just hiding them so you employees can buy them!!!"

3)Once again the clearance sale brought out the WONDERFUL people. We had a lady with an entire cart of stuff who didn't buy any of it because she thought the clearance sale meant the sticker price, minus 50%, minus ANOTHER 50%. BZZZ wrong answer! Just 50% off the sticker price, just like all the signs say.

Of course there was also the guy who saw the ad for the clearance sale on the door and thought EVERYTHING in the store was 50% off. Nothing like watching a grown man pout and stomp when he finds out that no, it's 50% off the items in our CLEARANCE area, just like the sign said and the ONLY section in the store where the signs were.

And of course there was the lady who screamed at me because some of the seasonal items in the clearance area were not marked down from their regular price. I tried to drill it through her head that clearance also means items we're just not carrying anymore, not everything in the clearance area is marked down from its original price.

4)But my absolute FAVORITE came on Thanksgiving night. It was annoying enough the constant phone calls asking if we were open "Nope, I'm answering the phone from home". But the best came about a half hour before closing. We had about 3 or 4 customers in the store, I was up at the register doing paperwork and the cashier was ringing people up.

Guy walks up to the door, looks RIGHT AT the sign that posted our holiday hours, opens the door, pokes his head in and asks 'Are you guys still open?'

Of course we also had the idiot who stood at the door for a good 2 minutes AFTER we closed. Doors were already locked, I was in the office doing the final till counts and the cashier was in the back of the store mopping. He looks at the sign, pulls on the door, looks at the sign again, KNOCKS on the door, keeps pulling on the door and knocking hoping someone will come let him in. WRONG! Cashier didn't even know he was there and I watched him on camera and just laughed and kept doing my work. He finally walked away after probably realizing that gee, maybe they're closed!

I'd just assume someone put an item where it didn't belong, knowing how good customers are at creative filing of merchandise they change their minds about.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

My coworker went to our local Dollar Admiral for one of those $38 DVD players. She was there at 7 am the morning of the sale and was the ONLY customer in the store. She didn't see the items so she went to the checkout desk to inquire. She was told that a lady called the previous work day and had them 'put on hold'. While my coworker was standing there, inquiring about purchasing 1, possibly 2, of the DVD players, the lady that had called for them, walked in and purchased them out from under her. I can see those willing to pay the regular price prior to the BF sale, but it was my understanding that the store couldn't 'hold' an item just so someone was guaranteed the sale price. She bought both players and there were only 2 shipped to that store.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
        My coworker went to our local Dollar Admiral for one of those $38 DVD players. She was there at 7 am the morning of the sale and was the ONLY customer in the store. She didn't see the items so she went to the checkout desk to inquire. She was told that a lady called the previous work day and had them 'put on hold'. While my coworker was standing there, inquiring about purchasing 1, possibly 2, of the DVD players, the lady that had called for them, walked in and purchased them out from under her. I can see those willing to pay the regular price prior to the BF sale, but it was my understanding that the store couldn't 'hold' an item just so someone was guaranteed the sale price. She bought both players and there were only 2 shipped to that store.
        I know it's usually store manager discretion for holding sale items, but for BF items like the DVD player, I'm pretty sure the rule was NOT to hold them for anyone. Just like with any other retailer on BF, it's first come, first serve.

Your coworker should have called corporate and complained. It wasn't fair to her.

Comment

Look, I know there were retail stores open Thanksgiving day and I admit I did some shopping of my own that day (I'm sorry, retail workers). But a DOLLAR STORE was open on Thanksgiving? That just seems like all kinds of wrong.

My sister works fast food and this will be the 3rd Christmas day she's working.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I have never heard of many places that hold items for a big sale like this -- especially if it's a limited-stock/doorbuster item. Chances are that the clerk who held them, wasn't supposed to, and didn't know any better. The one or two times I've heard of places doing this by policy, they will do the hold, but charge the active (non-super sale/discount) price that the item cost at the time the hold began.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I hate people that don't understand that a closed door means shop is closed...
              When we close we have to keep one door open for I guess emergency reasons while we wait for the last movies to finish, this brings in the annoying people! One night I had cashed up and was just staying back so I could drop my CW home. He was mopping while I was reading my book and this lady came in with her husband and wanted to buy some gift vouchers (it was 11 at night). I told her "I'm sorry but I have cashed up so unfortunately I cannot sell anything." She gave me the most angriest face I have ever seen and just stood there silently. I apologised again and that made her leave. That made me a bit mad.
              How have I not killed anyone yet?

Comment

Quoth Kim Brody View Post
                I hate people that don't understand that a closed door means shop is closed...
                I can understand that feeling. The only times I actually managed to see it, however, was on holidays or close to such as Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve when the store wouldn't stay open late so folks could still get home to their families.

Even us simple courtesy clerks were made to stick around 15 minutes past closing facing up the shelves while the PiC could count out the last drawer. Everyone always just laughed at the folks that would walk up to the doorway, took a look at the sign stating we were closed, looking into the now dark store since the lights were off, and then attempted a couple tugs on the door anyhow.

Only time I ever got annoyed with someone like that was when they cursed out my father, he was waiting to give me a ride home from work and helpfully informed them that the store was closed before they could give the door a try. Of course it was only after they had left and I was on the way home that he actually told me what had happened.

Comment

I've never heard of limited sale items being held for people either. Especially if the store only had 2 to begin with.
                  Quoth drjonah View Post
                  SC : Those candles are supposed to be 2/$1 and they rang up $1.50, you have to give it to me for the 2/$1 price!

SC's Hubby : Uhhhh no dear, those candles were on a peg that clearly said $1.50, the 2/$1 candles were on the peg below it.
                  I've lost count how many times SCs see a sale tag and assume it applies to whatever they want. Tags on shelves are under the item, pegs have the tag right above. Not hard, and the tags on pegs essentially point to the sale item. I've gotten a few complaints of 'false advertising', and various forms of 'misleading'....I know the yogurt section is a mess, but that still doesn't mean Chobani is on sale. That's not even on the same shelf. No, I'm not saying you are expected to decipher all the tags, just the bit that says "DANNON".

Why do people stand and stare when they don't get what they want? Maybe that worked when you were four, it's not gonna change anything now.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post

Why do people stand and stare when they don't get what they want? Maybe that worked when you were four, it's not gonna change anything now.
                    Simple, their brains suffered a bluescreen after being denied what they assumed was rightfully(and already) theirs. That pause is the reboot, and the full initialization of the SC module

Comment

Working...
                    X