This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to hate my bosses

I have a pretty good work ethic. I don't screw around, I don't stand around goofing off or talking when there should be work getting done. I'm always early or on time, I work hard and quickly and even if I'm seen to be laughing and joking with my coworkers, my hands are always moving, grinding away at the task at hand.

My main boss seems ok. She's still not 100% sure about me because I'm still fairly new to her department, but she's starting to figure out that I'm no slouch. I know what I'm doing and I do it well.

Her two assistants, on the other hand, are driving me insane. both are nice enough, and not openly mean or rude. We get along fine. Both are good workers.

The problem comes in when I basically do ANYTHING that is not one of my two main jobs.

Sometimes my boss will tell me to stop what I'm doing. She doesn't want me to go do something else, she wants me to stop and wait for her to tell me when I can start again.

Within a minute of this happening, one of the assistants runs over and is demanding to know whats going on. And not in a "I'm just curious because I need to keep a sharp eye on things". It's more like "I see you not working and the only reason for that is you're being lazy!"

Or if the boss sends me elsewhere. Maybe she needs a box of pens or something. So I go get the box of pens. Then other assistant is like "Where are you going with those? you don't need pens for your job." Again, its less of a Bossly Curiosity, its more like an accusation. What the heck am I doing there stealing the pens? I must be up to mischief.

So I got these two guys watching me like a hawk all the time (For what reason I still don't know). except yesterday, when I'm an extreme amount of excruciating pain because my shoulder is screwed up. I'm almost in tears or ready to throw up because the pain is literally that bad.

Of course, no one notices. Not "hey dude you ok?" or even like "Why are you clutching your shoulder like that? Why is your face pale and sweat running off your forehead?" or even "Dude why are you doing everything one handed?"

I finally tell my boss I'm in too much pain to continue, but of course I'm met with disbelief and frustration. They let me leave for the day but its like "Uh huh, you'd BETTER be in Monday."

I'm thinking next time I'm feeling ill or something I'm going to be as big of a nuisance as possible. Throw up on the product, drop and break stuff if I'm hurting. Or I'll just keep pushing it until I'm REALLY hurt and then I get a nice big workers comp check. Or something.

I'm just frustrated. I do my job, but more often than not I catch hell for other people's shit.

I would get medical documentation. I hate bosses who accuse without evidence.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Starting to hate my bosses

Yesss....let the hate flow through you...Soon, your journey to the Retail side will be complete...

But seriously -- yeah, sounds like you have a pair of real assholes on your hands. For the first one, it might help to just talk with him for a few minutes when you can (maybe off the clock before you come in, if that's what it takes), and have him deliniate *exactly* what it is he does and does not want you to do. For the other one, either he's inexperienced and goes by the old, idiotic assumption that anyone not moving around for five seconds is "lazy," or he's very experienced, and has had one too many slacker workers, so he now assumes that ALL workers are slackers, because it's easier to assume that than to find out about individual people.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

For starters, I would ask the boss for written documentation of your job tasks. And the next time Thing 1 or Thing 2 wants to know, for example, why you grabbed a box of pens, tell them, "Boss Lady told me to go and get it. Any questions should be directed to her." And look them straight in the eyes when you say it. One thing I learned years ago is to look directly into people's eyes when I speak to them. It's hard if you're shy, but nothing makes you look shady faster than not making eye contact. After a while if gives you confidence. YOU know you're telling the truth, after all.

If they keep questioning everything you do, you might want to ask the boss, privately, if she asked them to supervise you this closely. What you want to do is let her know, in as nice a way as possible, that they are questioning HER orders to you.

Oh - and the shoulder. DEFINITELY get medical documentation. If this is going to be a continuing thing, ask your doc about filing FMLA papers.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
        X