This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bloody" Shakespeare Marathon

So every year on (or near to) my birthday, I "force" my mom sit through a marathon of Shakespeare movies and plays. This year I called it "Bloody Shakespeare" because we watched King Lear, Titus (Andronicus), Measure for Measure, and Julius Caesar.

The King Lear we watched was the BBC Production featuring Ian Holm in the title role. We thought it was pretty good, though, I, for one, don't think it is as great a play as I have heard others proclaim.

Titus, the Julie Taymor film, was very visually artistic. My mom made the point that many individual frames of the film were almost worthy of being hung in a gallery. We both got kind of annoyed at the antics of Tamora's sons, who, for the most part, were the very definitions of "wild child". I also didn't find Jessica Lange to be completely appropriate for the role, but that was mainly because I didn't care for the sound of her voice.

Measure for Measure was the BBC production that aired in 1978 as part of the effort to commit all of Shakespeare's plays to film. It was a good production that I enjoyed, and one of the Comedies that I feel has modern applications, especially with the second conversation between Angelo and Isabell. It is not a very funny "Comedy" unlike Much Ado About Nothing or Taming of the Shrew. It feels a lot more like Merchant of Venice in that regard.

Julius Caesar was the 2012 RSC production set in an African state. It was and excellent production with the actors playing the 3 key roles being phenomenal IMO. Seriously, if you like Shakespeare in any way, find a way to see this production!

We also watched 2 different productions of Taming of the Shrew. The Burton/Taylor version and the one with John Cleese as Petruchio. My mom had seen (and enjoyed) the Taylor/Burton one as a child, and still enjoyed it the second time around. But when I told her I prefer the more subtle performance made by John Cleese, she agreed to watch that one as well, and agreed with me on that Cleese's portrayal was better (not to mention it had a lot more of the play in that production ). (My sister still thinks Burton is better).

Well, that's all for now.

SC

PS: I don't think I've mentioned it before, but there is a production of Much Ado About Nothing featuring David Tennant and Catherin Tate. IMO it is the best version I have seen. Check it out, if you can find it. (Tennant's costume at the masque is not to be missed )
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Do you happen to have a link to some Shakespeare vids? I'd especially be interested in the BBC grouping (how far did they get, btw?).

Just as a side note -- and this is going by something a lit professor said many ages ago, this may just be the mental cobwebs talking/an IIRC situation -- Generally speaking, the term "Comedy" in Shakespeare means "has a good ending"/"few, if any, characters die," rather than the modern definition of "something funny," though they often are. Keep in mind that Billy S. had one heck of a filthy mind, which his audience liked just fine q.v. the book Filthy Shakespeare for a bunch of specific examples on such *ahem* country matters. People die in his "Tragedies" (it's a crucial part of them), which IS much closer to the modern usage, and his "Histories" are basically what we'd call "historical fiction."
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Macbeth is my favorite bloody Shakespeare- my favorite at all, actually. There is a new movie version coming out sometime soon starring Michael Fassbender, and I'm interested to see what he will do with the character.

I love it so much that #2 Son is named after a character in the play.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Same here, AK. It's always been my favorite.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Do you happen to have a link to some Shakespeare vids? I'd especially be interested in the BBC grouping (how far did they get, btw?).

Just as a side note -- and this is going by something a lit professor said many ages ago, this may just be the mental cobwebs talking/an IIRC situation -- Generally speaking, the term "Comedy" in Shakespeare means "has a good ending"/"few, if any, characters die," rather than the modern definition of "something funny," though they often are. Keep in mind that Billy S. had one heck of a filthy mind, which his audience liked just fine q.v. the book Filthy Shakespeare for a bunch of specific examples on such *ahem* country matters. People die in his "Tragedies" (it's a crucial part of them), which IS much closer to the modern usage, and his "Histories" are basically what we'd call "historical fiction."
          I had an English teacher back in high school who told us that Shakespeare often had two versions of his plays: One was tidied up somewhat for the upper class crowd, and one had all the dirty jokes left in for the commoners.

And now I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of John Cleese in Shakespeare. I knew the man had a lot more going on than the Monty Python-style comedy, but I never pictured him in Shakespeare.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
            This year I called it "Bloody Shakespeare" because we watched King Lear, Titus (Andronicus), Measure for Measure, and Julius Caesar.
            That reminds me of what George R. R. Martin had to say when he compared the Game of Thrones to Shakespeare's plays.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I Think you can find some of them on YouTube by searching for specific plays, but the only other way I know to acquire them is by purchasing through Amazon or the like.

The BBC Shakespeare got all 36 plays committed, finishing with Titus Andronicus in 1988. Romeo and Juliet (the first from 1978) featured Alan Rickman as Tybalt.

Helen Mirren was in a few, and Patrick Stewart, Derek Jacobi... quite few now well known British actors in fact.

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Just as a side note -- and this is going by something a lit professor said many ages ago, this may just be the mental cobwebs talking/an IIRC situation -- Generally speaking, the term "Comedy" in Shakespeare means "has a good ending"/"few, if any, characters die," rather than the modern definition of "something funny," though they often are.
              I know this, but for those only familiar with the modern definition of comedy, I thought I would clarify it a bit.

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Keep in mind that Billy S. had one heck of a filthy mind, which his audience liked just fine q.v. the book Filthy Shakespeare for a bunch of specific examples on such *ahem* country matters. People die in his "Tragedies" (it's a crucial part of them), which IS much closer to the modern usage, and his "Histories" are basically what we'd call "historical fiction."
              Ah, yes, just look at the Gatekeeper (or clown) in Macbeth if you want that confirmed.

Speaking of MacBeth there is a version directed by Teller (of Penn & Teller) that is one of the bloodiest productions ever made.

SC

ETA: OK, here are a few YouTube links to various Shakespeare productions:

Shakespeare ReTold: Much Ado About Nothing The story if not the language, but it is very good.
              King Lear (2008)
              Merchant of Venice (2004)
              Titus (1999)
              Macbeth
              Twelfth Night (1969
              Macbeth (Different Production)
              Othello (1995)
              Julius Caesar (BBC Collection 1978)
              Unlocking Shakespeare: Julius Caesar This shows clips from three key scenes of the 2012 RSC production I mentioned, with the actors then delving into their characters. It will give you an idea of what I was talking about.
              Last edited by BroSCFischer; 12-14-2014, 04:46 AM.
              "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                Macbeth is my favorite bloody Shakespeare- my favorite at all, actually.
                That's one that I've always wanted to see and never gotten around to.

I've got the Hamlet video with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart. Tennant played the character pretty much as I always envisioned him. The actor who played Horatio was quite excellent, too.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This reminded me of something I was thinking about the other day -- Specifically, with regards to Romeo and Juliet. Unfortunately, neither are topics I can really discuss here (read: if I get really bored, I'll start a thread on Fratching).

Dammit x.x Now I need some actual content or a joke. Screw it, I'll do the latter.

Everything I need to know about Shakespeare, I learned from Disney's "Gargoyles"

Comment

FYI:

Do NOT watch the 1972 Charlton Heston version of "Antony and Cleopatra". This is one of those instances where all that you (may) have heard (ie: Arguably Worst Shakespeare Production Ever) is true!

And it is NOT one of those that it's so bad it's good.

Fair Warning, if you don't heed the one above, you WILL see Charlton Heston in a thong.

SC

PS: I like Charlton Heston, just not in this!

Comment

I love old Hollywood, and adore watching old movies ... I can understand your comment about Heston in a thong [or again in Planet of the Grapes in a loincloth]

There are 2 ways to be slender, exercise or diet. If you exercise, you get muscle definition. If you use diet alone, you get slender but blobby. You can tell who in the old Hollywood days exercised and who dieted ... and there are a lot of the old leading men you really do not want to see out of clothing!
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                      X