Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embarrassing for me, but I'm posting because I want input on this interaction.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    Guys: 'keepers' are small ribbons sewn onto the straps of a top, you loop the ribbon under the bra strap, and clip it to the other side of the top's strap. This keeps the bra strap hidden beneath the top's straps.
    You learn something new every day - I thought "keepers" were the metal plates bolted to the guides for a stripper plate, limiting how far the stripper plate could be pushed away from the upper die shoe.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Ain't field-specific jargon fun?
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yep. Tool and die makers and auto mechanics share some of the same jargon, but wouldn't understand each other because the same term means something completely different in the 2 fields. For example, in tool and die, something is SERIOUSLY wrong if your lifters are touching your cams. To an auto mechanic, lifters are supposed to be in contact with the cams.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I am honestly on the grumpy end of the spectrum. Don't talk to me in public, and don't repeatedly try to discuss something I am clearly uncomfortable with...

Comment

Was the older lady really loud and announce it to the world? Or was she trying to be discreet and quiet about it?

If she was being really loud and obvious, then she was way way way out of line. But if I was in your situation, I would rather someone said something to me quietly.

I once walked around London for a day with really obvious white chewing gum stuck all over the back of a dark purple jacket. Not one person said anything to me. I only discovered it when i finally got home.

But I have also had people quietly tell me that my stockings had a ladder or hole in them. (Really bad when you work in a very dressy office.) Or I had a big bit of stray hair sticky up weird from my phone headset. Or my bow on the back of my dress was coming undone.

I have also quietly let people know about ladders in their stockings/tights (not the 'fashion' ones that come that way), buttons that have come undone and obvious make-up smears.

Even caught one lady as she was about to leave a restroom with her dress tucked into her knickers. There were 5 other women in there and no one else said a word. That poor lady would have walked into a crowded restaurant like that if I hadn't said anything.
            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              1) Don't wear pajamas in public.
              Although I was a little jealous (as was the person who was being dropped off) of the person who dropped one of our waitrons off at work and climbed into the drivers side in their pjs.

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              2) No one wants to see your boxers buttcrack.
              But given the clothing we wore, you just gotta bite the bullet and say "times change."

53 here, and would never mention a "style choice" to a stranger. On the flip side, FoodLady, when I worked a c-store, I would often mention things that might be potentially embarrassing to my custys who were on their way to work. For many of them, I was likely the first person seeing them and it was possible they didn't know. BIG however, however - these were usually regulars I knew by name, AND it was always phrased as a casual "In case you don't know..." Unzipped zipper callouts were always appreciated, but 'mud (/pawprints/spots/etc.) on their backside was a close second.

As always here, there's no fail-to-see-the-suck; your first lady's tone and demeanor don't come through in text, but I lean toward nosy biddy just because she offered a corrective action to you. I'd assume that an adult would only need something potentially unnoticed pointed out, not a Hint From Heloise.

Damp shirt person flabbergasts me, I got nuthin'

Comment

Working...
              X