This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I get the parking spot

So yesterday was the monthly employee appreciation party. Because of the holiday season, they were actually running a special meal for like 3 hours. I was relieved for break at noon and the actual celebration where they announce birthdays and do a prize drawing and announce the employees of the month (one from the front of house and one from back of the house) was scheduled to start at 12:30, so I figured I'd miss it. I wasn't feeling super well anyway so that was okay with me.

So shortly before 12:30 the HR lady is collecting names to go in the drawing for the prize give-away and asks why I didn't write my name down. I told her my break was ending and I couldn't stick around.

HR: "Oh...but you have to stay for the drawing!"
    Me: "Sorry, but New Front Desk Manager is my relief and I got to get back here." (He already had at least one callback for a gift card order as I was clocking out, which he doesn't yet know how to do since he's barely been with us a week.)

So I'm putting my plate away and am heading out the door when AGM blocks me and tells me I have to stay.

Me: "But my break is over."
    AGM: "I'll call NFDM and tell him you need to stay for the drawing."

So I reluctantly stay, figuring he wanted me to cover it for the employee newsletter even though HR lady could just send me the news. I replied to an email from NFDM and told him that if he got too busy to email me and I would ditch anyway.

So I sit through the birthday and anniversary announcements, and they get ready for the employees of the month and I pull out my phone to take notes and photos for the newsletter.

AGM: "This month's front of the house associate is someone who has been with us since before we reopened last year. Up to today she has worked across multiple departments."
    Me: My brain went to Reservations Supervisor, who was moving her office up to the Sales offices to take on more work there.
    AGM: "You all have seen her work, as she is the editor of our newsletter each month..."

And that's when all eyes suddenly faced me and I had to put down my phone. And the security guard I was sitting next to gave me a hug.

AGM said some other stuff but I was pretty busy trying not to tear up too badly b/c really it meant a lot. Because going between two departments and never being fully in each one, sometimes I feel a bit forgotten in the shuffle (the front office was short-staffed one day when I was up in sales, and when I walked by they called me over to help, and when I asked why they didn't call sooner my front desk supervisor actually admitted, "Sorry, we forgot that you were here and we could do that.") Then they called me up in front of everyone and gave me my certificate and snapped my photo, which I'll have to put in the newsletter later.

So yeah, I made employee of the month! I get a prime parking space for a month, a gift card, and I got some balloons.

And when I got back to the desk, NFDM had the snarkiest grin on his face (since he was obviously informed by AGM, and then I sent the email saying I could ditch the party if he needed me to).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Wooooooooo!!!!
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Nice one
      Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Sounds to me like you were very deserving of this recognition! Congratulations!!!

Comment

CONGA RAAAATS!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X