Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The wireless SC files. Infinite storage lady.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wireless SC files. Infinite storage lady.

SC comes in, obviously irate.

Me: hello! (Blahblahblah I know this is some bullshit, get this over with already)

Sc: I just got this new phone I ordered , Goin to need all my pictures and videos and music transferred to it from the old one

Me: Ok, well let me see what you have. (Probes the camera folder, which reports 5.8 gigabytes of data), (pulls the back off to find SD card and finds a woefully inadequate 2gb SD card). Mam, you're going to need a bigger SD card for that.

Sc: what?

Me: you have nearly 6gb of data which needs transferring and your SD card will not do

Sc: this is ridiculous

WWWWWWWWWHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTT?!?!?!

This went on for about 20 minutes.

What part of your SD card can hold x and you need y transferred, where y is ~3*x is ridiculous?!?!?

What a dumb ass.

Before the more sympathetic people chime in, I'll admit a few things.

Christmas eve, very busy.

A) yes we have a machine, the machine is garbage and barely works. When it does it takes about 45 seconds per file, I'm not going to stand there with you watching everyone else make money while you waste my time. Read the fucking manual and use your fucking pc.
    B) Not selling you something to do this is a waste of time.
    C) We are under no obligation to do this, your contacts, pictures, videos, twitter account blah blah blah actually have nothing to do with your service. This should be obvious.
    D) yes, you're an adult? Yes you purchased a 700+ piece of equipment? No? You don't care to learn to use it? You shouldnt buy it, idiot. If you are too lazy to learn to use the stuff you buy and you want someone else to do it, expect to pay for them to do it. Deal with it.
    E) yes it is ridiculous that you are so stupid .

Quoth icantbelievethesepeople View Post

Sc: I just got this new phone I ordered , Goin to need all my pictures and videos and music transferred to it from the old one

A) yes we have a machine, the machine is garbage and barely works. When it does it takes about 45 seconds per file, I'm not going to stand there with you watching everyone else make money while you waste my time. Read the fucking manual and use your fucking pc.
    Don't forget that she just got the new phone she ordered, NOT one she just bought through you (i.e. you didn't get any commission on it). She expects you to spend a lot of time not earning commissions from other customers in order to satisfy her, when she isn't even YOUR customer?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Too much data

No phone should have that much data on it that is not already backup to a computer/cloud service at any time.

I watch too much People's Court where people lose cases and real money because they have not backup their phone and it gets stolen, damaged and in some rare case dies in such a manner it takes the data with it.

If that data is important (and this customer acts as if it is) then they need to backup it up to more than another phone.

PS. And stop being a cheap ass, phone companies clearly state how much storage their phone come with. No-one is really so dumb as to think that 2GB will hold 5.8GB of data, they just don't want to admit they were too cheap to pay the extra money (and yes I know they charge alot for memory) for a 16GB or 32GB model where there would not have been a problem.

PS. I did not know there were phones with only 2GB on the market, that is scraping the bottom of the barrel to save money.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        PS. I did not know there were phones with only 2GB on the market, that is scraping the bottom of the barrel to save money.

Ah. No it was her external SD card that was 2gb. I was informing her that if she wanted me to transfer all that content, she'd need to purchase a suitable card.
        Last edited by EricKei; 12-26-2014, 03:54 AM. Reason: trimmed quote

Comment

Got it

Quoth icantbelievethesepeople View Post
          Ah. No it was her external SD card that was 2gb. I was informing her that if she wanted me to transfer all that content, she'd need to purchase a suitable card.
          Got it, a little better but cheap 8GB SD cards go for $5-$10 and good 32GB cards are available for about $20+.

The customer is still being cheap, but that is more understandable.

Comment

I have seen many a phone advertised that either come with a 2 GB card (Hey! It's got a card, so it'll be all I ever need, right...? Right?) or none at all....along with laptops (equipped with Win 8) packing a whopping 2 GB of RAM and a 60 GB hard drive. Sad.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I bought a tablet last week that runs Windows 8.1.

It has 16GB internal storage. By the time it's done with OS + recovery partition, there's 5GB free. It has a MicroSD slot but didn't come with a card. It also has 1 GB of RAM.

But hey, it was $60. And it runs fine, actually. Even plays 720p video well enough with VLC (1080 was iffy, in my tests, I need some better 1080 test vids...). Need to put Media Player Classic and some codecs on there to give it a real test though. Only problem with it is I thought the touchscreen was treated pretty much like a weird teleporting mouse. Nope--launched Liquid War, Recettear, and Creeper World 3 and none of them recognized taps. Guess there's a reason for Metro apps after all.
              Last edited by otakuneko; 12-26-2014, 12:01 PM.
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I could understand 16 gigs on a Chromebook...but on a Windows unit? o_O Is it at least an SSD? If not, being that low on free space will drag things down a bunch.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  Only problem with it is I thought the touchscreen was treated pretty much like a weird teleporting mouse. Nope--launched Liquid War, Recettear, and Creeper World 3 and none of them recognized taps. Guess there's a reason for Metro apps after all.
                  The teleporting mouse effect is how touchscreens act on Linux with tslib. Why Microsoft didn't do it the same way is utterly beyond me.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                    The teleporting mouse effect is how touchscreens act on Linux with tslib. Why Microsoft didn't do it the same way is utterly beyond me.
                    I suspect they want to use multi-touch, and that doesn't make sense in a teleporting mouse world. Older pen-based windows tablets did emulate a mouse, and were to some degree awesome, but you couldn't do all he fancy gesture stuff with them.

I know squat about RT, but if there is the equivalent of properties on an app, look for a mouse compatibility setting. They do a lot of compatibility work on the desktops, perhaps there is some on RT.
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

None of the phones we sell come with a MicroSD card included for free; it is assumed that the customer either has one already, or ponies up a few bucks if they need more than the device's onboard storage.
                      "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                      -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I could understand 16 gigs on a Chromebook...but on a Windows unit? o_O Is it at least an SSD?
                        Definitely an SSD. It's only slightly slower to wake up than my Galaxy Tab 2. In other words, slightly less than instant: if you blinked and pushed the power button simultaneously, you probably wouldn't notice...

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        I suspect they want to use multi-touch, and that doesn't make sense in a teleporting mouse world.
                        Hmm. I guess that makes sense. Sort of. There could always be multiple mice.

They do a lot of compatibility work on the desktops, perhaps there is some on RT.
                        Can't tell ya, it's not RT.

I found a neat virtual touchpad and it solved a few problems (mainly, my fatfinger inaccuracy in touch in desktopland) but not all of them.
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                        X