This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think it's me that needs to sort my life out

Last night at the pub was fucking insane. I can't bring myself to type a full thread about it, so I will just tell you about the SC that stuck out the most.

It was very, very busy. Everyone is running around and there is a long wait at the bar.

SC: Oi! Pal! Any chance of some service?
    Me: I will be with you in a minute. There are a few people ahead of you.

The finger snapping started.

SC: Hey! Come serve me! Come serve me!
    Me: In a minute!

He continued to yell and click. He was irritating everyone.

And then he decided to walk behind the bar and start serving himself a drink. He even turned to his friend and yelled "Dave! What do you want? I'll get it!"

A co-worker grabbed him by his shoulders and led him off the bar. Everyone was pissed off. He walked up to where I was serving while CW went to find a doorman.

SC: Hey! What was that for??
    Me: You don't just walk around and help yourself!
    SC: I thought you'd be grateful I was helping!!!
    Me: Seriously?
    SC: So can I have-
    Me: Oh no. You're not getting served.
    SC: What??
    Me: You just frightened every person behind this bar. No one will serve you here.
    SC: YOU HAVE TO!
    Me: No we don't.
    SC: You're miserable! Sort your life out!!!
    Me: Just leave.
    SC: NOOOOO!!!

The doorman arrived.

D: Right. Out.
    SC: *sheepish* Oh...of course sir...right away. I was planning on going anyway.

It takes some gall to walk behind a bar and try to serve yourself. The only time I went behind the bar is beacuse there were bottles of beer in the case, to see what I wanted (it was pretty dark in the bar), and I asked the bartender if I could get a better look at them. She said yes. I found the Spotted Cow I wanted.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

When I was little, my parents had a rule for whenever we were in places with delicate or valuable stuff: we held our hands together behind our backs. We could look all we liked, but with our hands behind our backs, it kept us reminded not to touch - and was also obvious to store staff that we weren't touching.

Whenever I need to do what you did, Victory Sabre, and go behind a counter or up close to a case with valuables, I revert to 'hands behind the back' mode. No, I don't really know why. It's just habit. I've also not bothered to 'correct' the habit, because I figure it's probably a reasurring gesture for the staff.

Oh, and yes, 'behind the counter' is an 'ALWAYS ask' location!

IOW, the idiot in the OP's story was ... an idiot.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
        SC: You're miserable! Sort your life out!!!
        Me: Just leave.
        SC: NOOOOO!!!

The doorman arrived.

D: Right. Out.
        SC: *sheepish* Oh...of course sir...right away. I was planning on going anyway.
        Ah, the classic bully behavior...all gruff and pushy when he seems in control, but show him a burly doorman, and suddenly he's a cowering pussy.

Comment

And then he decided to walk behind the bar and start serving himself a drink.

I'm imagining someone trying this at Jester's bar and suffering very...severe consequences as a result.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
            The only time I went behind the bar is beacuse there were bottles of beer in the case, to see what I wanted (it was pretty dark in the bar), and I asked the bartender if I could get a better look at them.
            I would do something similar at the hobby shop. Even with the bright lights in there, it was difficult to see the tiny printing stamped on the ends of the freight car and locomotive kits. Even with my glasses, I can't see the damn things! So I'd ask, and get permission to be back there. Of course, it also helped that I was ("was" because the shop in question has since closed ) a regular, and after 20 years, knew the owners...and they knew that I was someone who would gladly buy those kits that nobody wanted.

It always amazes the hell out of me that some customers treat the staff like shit, and then can't understand why they get tossed. Treat the staff with respect, and they'll go out of their way to help you. Hell, one of my locomotives got repaired for free, simply because I was nice to the guy. Same guy let me look around in the shop's attic simply because I asked nicely.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

At the bars in my neck of the woods, that would not fly. You decide to go behind the bar and it's the last time you will be allowed in that establishment.
              "My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

Comment

Quoth protege View Post

It always amazes the hell out of me that some customers treat the staff like shit, and then can't understand why they get tossed. Treat the staff with respect, and they'll go out of their way to help you. Hell, one of my locomotives got repaired for free, simply because I was nice to the guy. Same guy let me look around in the shop's attic simply because I asked nicely.
                Yeah, once at a London Subway, I got quadruple cheese on my sub, simply cuz I was the only customer they'd had all day who said please and thank you. Which was nice for me, but I felt bad for them.

At my old local, back in the days when I was in my twenties and a regular, the landlord would let us regulars go behind the bar after closing time when the lock ins started to help ourselves, simply cuz that way he didn't have to get up and he trusted us.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  When I was little, my parents had a rule for whenever we were in places with delicate or valuable stuff: we held our hands together behind our backs. We could look all we liked, but with our hands behind our backs, it kept us reminded not to touch - and was also obvious to store staff that we weren't touching.

Oh, and yes, 'behind the counter' is an 'ALWAYS ask' location!
                  My parents taught me the same thing . . . and I still do it. Of course that was back in the days of "you break it, you bought it." A lot of stores won't or can't enforce that kind of policy anymore.

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                  And then he decided to walk behind the bar and start serving himself a drink.

I'm imagining someone trying this at Jester's bar and suffering very...severe consequences as a result.
                  I'm imagining it as well . . . is it a bad sign I'm grinning ear to ear?
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Don't tell me let me guess: The SC in the OP didn't pay for his drink.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      I'm imagining it as well . . . is it a bad sign I'm grinning ear to ear?
                      What you're experiencing is called "schadenfreude."

It's delicious.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth shanarocks View Post
                        At the bars in my neck of the woods, that would not fly. You decide to go behind the bar and it's the last time you will be allowed in that establishment.
                        I'm sure at a lot of bars it would result in the SC being thrown out Big Beef McAffrey style - to anyone familiar with Spider Robinson's work, that means literally being thrown out - without the thrower bothering to open the door first.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Or in a more considerate but still rough, an Uncle Phil.
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                          X