This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people need to learn to SHUT UP

I got a call today that involved 3 passengers and part of a DJ set. (2 large speaker boxes, 2 small speaker boxes, 2 boxes of lights, and a light stand. Estimated total value: about $2000-3000.) We got about 2 miles from the pickup location when I notice flashing lights in the rearview mirror. Hmm...

Long story short, the police had reason to believe that the DJ equipment was stolen. One of my passengers had just bought all of it for $100. That's not a typo: one hundred dollars for equipment worth two or three thousand dollars. Turns out the police were acting on a tip received earlier regarding the possible sale of stolen DJ equipment. Sigh.

The man who had shelled out the money cooperated with the police, and things were actually okay with them. My other two passengers... not so much. The police asked for ID, and one asked, "Am I being arrested?" which I'm sure is a cop's favorite question. (Remember that question. Important in a bit.) He answered no, and so both of them refused to identify themselves, and the officer stepped away for a bit.

Three police officers then proceeded to unload all the DJ gear out of my van so they can find serial numbers. From what I overheard, they could only find serials on 2 pieces of equipment, and apparently it would take some time to find out if they were in fact stolen.

After the unloading was done and serial numbers were copied down, the police started reloading. The same officer came back up and told the passengers that they were being detained (important: detained, not arrested) and therefore he did indeed need to see ID. Cue Miss Am I Being Arrested loudly and repeatedly "asserting her right" to NOT show the police her ID because she was under the misconception that she didn't have to. (Being detained is not the same as being arrested.) He explained to her that since she was being detained... yes she did. Meanwhile, the male passenger was telling her over and over again to shut up.

Sadly, her tactic worked, eventually. The cop apparently got sick of repeating himself and finally just took down the name she gave him, and her claimed height and weight. The other one plead the fifth amendment. (Non-USians: the relevant part of the 5th amendment to the US constitution basically says that people can't be made to incriminate themselves, andsays nothing about showing ID. See this Wikipedia entry.) She literally said "I plead the fifth."

Finally, after much hoorawing, the police reloaded my van, and we were back on our not-so-merry way. The two women spent the entire rest of the HALF HOUR TRIP bitching about the stop, until the man -- the one who would be the most in trouble if the gear is stolen, I might add -- finally said, "I told you to SHUT THE F*** UP!!!" My hero! Too bad it didn't work.

Postscript: After dropping them off, I drove around the corner, then reported to the police the drop off address.

Added bonus: While the police were looking at the gear, Miss Loudmouth told me that the police "violated my rights" by searching the van without asking permission. My reply: "They don't need to ask me. They would only need to ask Big Green Cab Co, and I guarantee the answer would be yes -- but since they could see the gear through the windows, I doubt they needed to ask permission... and if they HAD asked me, I would've told them to go right ahead." (You see, the best thing to do with police officers is to cooperate fully. You'll be done with them faster and in a more pleasant manner. Plus, my job is far more important to me than you are.)
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

They (most likely) stole or bought stolen DJ equipment and take a Taxi......?

I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

A bit of common sense here - if you buy equipment for AT MOST 5 cents on the dollar, either it's broken beyond repair (and the seller is ripping you off), or it's stolen.

Detained female passengers refused to provide ID? I'm not a Yank, but my understanding of their laws is that if someone being detained refuses to provide proper ID, the police can continue to detain them until they identify the person by other means.

My guess is that the equipment WAS stolen, and the male passenger was a not-so-dumb crook (i.e. wanting to get things over with, and laying the groundwork for the "I was a moron" defense, as in he was too stupid to realize that the deal was too good to be true, so he didn't have the INTENT to buy stolen property).

Stolen or not, Deserted is in the clear. After all, it's a normal part of his job to pick up passengers and their gear. Without obvious signs that the equipment was stolen (i.e. picking up the passengers and the DJ gear in front of a store with a smashed-out window and the burglar alarm howling), he has no reason to believe that the gear doesn't belong to the passengers.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

IIRC - Detainment requires provision of ID in most states; just being stopped (for speeding, etc) does not.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Not providing your ID is a great way to piss off the cop though. He will then most likely start looking for things to ticket you over...that lack of seatbelt, you were on the phone, you were 9 mph over the limit...

Of course, that's if the car is yours.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I believe that the person they bought the gear from is a known fence, or perhaps a police informant was there. (There were maybe a dozen people just sort of hanging around the barber shop I picked them up from.)

The law regarding being detained differs from place to place, but here, if you are detained and refuse to provide ID, they have the option to take you to the station and hold on to you until they can identify you... and yeah, the officer talking with her was pretty peeved. (Not at me, thank Gord.)
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Detained female passengers refused to provide ID? I'm not a Yank, but my understanding of their laws is that if someone being detained refuses to provide proper ID, the police can continue to detain them until they identify the person by other means.
              That probably is the law (and yes, I do live in the US).

However, that said, most cops would *really* rather not go there. It's way too much hassle.

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                yeah, the officer talking with her was pretty peeved. (Not at me, thank Gord.)
                You cooperated and gave the drop off addy, so they will likely be good to you. Your passengers, OTOH
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  ... if someone being detained refuses to provide proper ID, the police can continue to detain them until they identify the person by other means.
                  For up to 72 hours IIRC and possibly depending on jurisdiction, yes. (Actually, they can detain you that long even if you *do* show ID.)

Comment

Only time the police cannot detain you for very long (two hours, max) is interview. And that varies from state to state, too!
                    Otherwise, they can hold you for as long as they deem it necessary. Buddy of mine? Held for a week and a half. Why? He refused to cooperate, shut up, or give ID. So they held him until he couldn't stand the fact he was still there.
                    His lawyer heard the case, laughed at him, and charged him $5000.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      A bit of common sense here - if you buy equipment for AT MOST 5 cents on the dollar, either it's broken beyond repair (and the seller is ripping you off), or it's stolen.
                      Or even more likely (depending on what you're buying) it's as fake as a $3 bill.

Comment

Working...
                      X