This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you not read the signs?

I'm in the middle of administering a MAJOR examination to my students who just started their final course in our program. We had some techincal issues getting started, and are running late.

I've had FOUR people from the class that sits in this room after mine try to come and sit down while my students are testing . . . walking right past the "Quiet, Testing" sign and the "NUR XXX moved to Room A" sign attached to it.

I weep for my profession.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Haha, read signs. The idea. The other day I overheard this gem: "Is this 40% off? Why not?" Because it's not supposed to be, you idiot! Bonus because my co-worker replied with "I don't know." And didn't offer to go read the sign or anything.

One of my teachers would preface the midterm and final with specific instructions/definitions... Like, "when you are done with the exam you may work silently. Not quietly, silently. Silent means making no noise. When you leave, don't spend 10 minutes crumbling paper in your bag. Don't try to fix your coat zipper. Just go and do not come back. Clear?"
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

At one work place I used to make all the signs according to the price lists sent from corporate. More than once I had to deal with some idiot not understanding the signs and then telling me that I didn't know what I was on about when I enforced what the sign stated. It was funny when they would ask for a manager because I'd shut them up by pointing at my name badge with 'Manager' written on it.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        I've had FOUR people from the class that sits in this room after mine try to come and sit down while my students are testing . . . walking right past the "Quiet, Testing" sign and the "NUR XXX moved to Room A" sign attached to it.
        What you need is a THIRD sign posted beside the other two: "NUR XXX pop quiz today, worth 10% of your total mark. Subject covered: reading and following directions".
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          What you need is a THIRD sign posted beside the other two: "NUR XXX pop quiz today, worth 10% of your total mark. Subject covered: reading and following directions".
          I almost broke the first rule! Oh, I needed that. Today was very stressful.

I mean really. One of the other students actually came into the class room and sat down. My students all have computers out (we computer test here). There's not a familiar face to her, yet it never occurred to her this wasn't her class.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            Haha, read signs. The idea. The other day I overheard this gem: "Is this 40% off? Why not?" Because it's not supposed to be, you idiot!
            Argh, aliteracy. Aliterate customers are the bane of my existence. When did this trend start, and how can we make it stop?!

Usually, when I get a customer like this, I go to where they got the stuff from, get the sign, bring it up to them and show them where they read it wrong. Usually gets a CBF and "I don't want it then!" Lately, it takes all I've got to refrain from recommending they take a remedial reading class.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I mean really. One of the other students actually came into the class room and sat down. My students all have computers out (we computer test here). There's not a familiar face to her, yet it never occurred to her this wasn't her class.
              For her to register any of that, first, she would have had to look up from her phone.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm not a nurse (and I don't play one on TV), but my understanding is that in the course of their jobs, they receive written instructions that MUST be followed exactly. If they fail to follow these instructions, their patients could die. Makes sense to weed out people who can't (or won't) read and follow instructions BEFORE they get into a position where this failure could harm a patient.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..........
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

"My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is." - Ellen DeGeneres

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      I'm not a nurse (and I don't play one on TV), but my understanding is that in the course of their jobs, they receive written instructions that MUST be followed exactly. If they fail to follow these instructions, their patients could die. Makes sense to weed out people who can't (or won't) read and follow instructions BEFORE they get into a position where this failure could harm a patient.
                      You'd think. Unfortunately, administration disagrees.

One of my students commented on what happened today in lab. Mentioned she gave that student the stink eye to no effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X