This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality check time

ok so this is from the facebook group for my local magic group. as in magic the gathering the trading card game. The guy I'm posting about is kind of clueless but not sucky is why this isn't in sightings.

magic the gathering cards. for sale.
    around 10,000 cards. asking $1,000. pick up in *local town* only.
    and he has a picture of cards sitting in 2 boxes, it was in two 3200ct boxes, one around 90% full and a second one about 1/3 full. So his collection is about 4000 cards actually.

Now before we get into this all you really to understand is thanks to the internet making it really easy to track down cards most magic cards actually aren't worth anything.

Now others made him post some cards and in the maybe 200 cards he showed there was 1 worth $16.

This is where I come in.

me
    so that looks like a 3200ct box with the space and the extra in the second box i'd roughly estimate 4000 cards. assuming every single card in there was mint and a rare you'd get $400 dollars from a store for them. Now considering that most aren't rare let's assume pack averages and it's 1 part rares, 3 parts uncommons and 11 parts commons. I'm skipping basic land on purpose here. using the buylist from starcitygames for bulk magic cards your collection boils down to 37.87, now to replace a mystery rare with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker and you promo whale you end up with 54.67 USD. That's without taking into account foils or basic lands or tokens or whatever is in that box.
    him
    i know there is around 10,000 cards there. i counted out 100 and estmated from that. i am %100 sure there is more then 7,000 cards. .. and i know a store will give me like nothing for them. that is how they make there money. but i think from what you all are saying i am going to drop my price down to $500 .
    me
    you counted out 100 and estimated from there? ok look is there another box cards aside from what's shown because that is a 3200 card box with a little room leftover and then a third of a second box, you are around 4000-4500 probably. I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm just trying to be realistic.
    him
    i am sure you are wrong on the size of the box. and no just the 2 box's. .. i counted 100 cards. but them in a pile got a tape measure and then measured the cards in the boxes.
    me
    http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/tradi...box-3200-cards ... and I'm sure I'm not, also you measured 100 cards and used a measuring tape? if you used at least 500 cards you might not be that far off but that is not even remotely accurate
    that's it for now I'll add as it goes, for now I'm trying to be like "hey buddy lets be real here" because noone's falling for it and I don't think he's malicious just naive.
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

That's also providing he doesn't have any older cards. I'm likely selling mine soon, and have a play set of dual lands, which includes a black border Tundra. Measuring the cards just isn't realistic. Best bet for bulk cards is getting the rare ones and selling separately and just dumping the commons at a store

Comment

Even if the person selling 'believes' there is more then 7,000 cards (a very large drop from 10,000). He could end up in court for fraud if the 'buyer' can prove the seller should have known better.

Of course, this being your local magic group where you already pointed out his logic errors, there is almost no chance of him selling the cards. This is fortunate for him.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

His newest post
        what ever. i know how many are there and i will just sell them to who ever will buy them. already had some ppl making offers. just giving it a day or two then take the bigest offer.
        I'm stopping there because I don't feel like delivering a smackdown when I'm not a mod.

Comment

Is there a chance that he could have his cards appraised? Then he can find out for himself how much they are really worth. He can't argue without becoming sucky if the answer comes from an expert.

Or he could sell them on eBay and hope for the best.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

cindy - probably. The thing is, he doesn't WANT to get a realistic price; he wants to get as close to his asking price as possible, instead.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I actually have ten billion dollars.

I counted what I had in my wallet and estimated from there.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I've got my old MTG collection that's between 10k and 12k cards, and it takes up four USPS medium flat rate boxes (*sigh* now if only I could sell it). No way two smallish boxes are going to hold that many cards.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

for selling your collection take it to your local card shop if it's a good one, it's usually the best way to go.

Comment

Gremcint- closest shop is over an hour away, and they'll want to pick and choose. Not really worth the time and effort and gas to me. I insist that whoever buys it take ALL of it, and I'm quite happy to ship it.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

some sites like starcity games will do bulk buy but the shipping to them would probably make it not worth it. if you were closer to me I'd take a look, but Nevada isn't exactly walking distance from Ontario

Comment

Agreed. When I sold my all cards and quit the game back in November, though I'm seeking to return soon, I only had a few hundred cards, got 35 dollars for them, and considered myself lucky to get that.

Mind you, I kept my Avacyn, Angel of Hope. Nobody's getting her without a Mind Control spell.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                        X