This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Dollar Admiral goodness

Haven't posted stories in a while so I thought I'd share some fun and excitement from the Dollar Admiral.

1)So this week it's been pretty darn cold. Wind chills anywhere from 0 to -30. We also got about 3 inches of snow but with the wind it made driving awful. We were pretty dead all week except for you guessed it, the elderly were out in droves. One old lady in particular came into the store to buy that emergency greeting card. I mean heaven forbid you wait a couple days for the weather to be safer to go buy it.

But this same old lady came up to the register to pay for her greeting card and started ranting and raving to the cashier. She was all mad because the weatherman on the radio had the AUDACITY to suggest that people stay home because of the road conditions and wind chills. She told the cashier she was so mad that she called up the tv station to give the weatherman 'what for' *shaking fist* for having the nerve to suggest she stay home in this weather!

2)I've pissed off quite a few customers because they tried to return their 'buyers remorse' Christmas merchandise AFTER Christmas (not gifts but decorations, lights, etc). They just can't seem to get it through their head that Christmas is OVER. Awful-mart, Ma-Jeers and every other retailer stopped accepting Christmas returns a couple weeks ago, it's freaking COMMON SENSE. One lady tried to return $50 worth of lights and was SHOCKED that I wouldn't let her return them.

Sorry you 'bought too much hehehehehe' but the holiday is over and the period to return has passed, YOU LOSE!

3)Speaking of Christmas merchandise, most of our stuff is clearance. Stuff that's not clearance is lights, gift sets and toys (I'll never understand why they don't clearance the lights but I don't work at the home office I'm just a peon). The day after Christmas we rearranged everything and grouped all the clearance stuff into one aisle and all the non clearance stuff FAR away so people would know that it's not on sale.

Oh how silly of me. Every day I hear 'Is this stuff 50% off too?' It's gotten to the point where I'm kinda blunt and specifically say 'No, that's why it's far away from the clearance aisle where all the signs are'

4)My new least favorite phrase is now 'Oh just browsing hehehehe'. We have a couple groups of older ladies come in once in a while to 'just browse'. They each feel the need to take their own cart (we only have like 10 carts so when 3 or 4 are being used by 'browsers' it means the possibility that we run out of carts and piss off the customers who are actually going to SPEND money)

And of course, because they're 'just browsing', they have to go through every aisle and if you're trying to stock an aisle, you have to stop for 5 minutes because they need to slooooooooooooooooooowly 'browse' that aisle without buying anything.

By the time they're finished 'browsing', they've been in the store for a good 45 minutes to an hour and have spent probably a whopping $3-$5 a piece.

5) I'm starting to get sick of people blaming Obama for every little ticky tack thing they can't get their way for. In the last couple months I've heard people blame Obama for the following things.

- That I can't break a $100 bill for your $2 purchase 10 minutes after we open.
    - That there's a limit on certain cold medicines you can purchase (That law was passed LONG before Obama took office)
    - That my store ran out of milk
    - The men's room is out of order
    - The price of eggs went up 30 cents
    - We don't sell alcohol

That's all for now, I'm sure more fun and excitement will happen once we get spring merchandise soon in the dead of winter!
    Last edited by EricKei; 01-10-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: Made it 20% less Fratchy

We almost never get to close for weather, but once we closed about an hour early when it was snowing very heavily and we only had about three customers in the last two hours. As we're all standing at the front waiting for the doors to close, guess who drives up? An elderly lady in a Crown Vic. She rolls down her window and yells, "you're not closing, are you?!" And I drove home white-knuckled in terror, while I'm sure she didn't think anything of it.

Every once in a while someone tries to bring up politics to me at work... It doesn't matter if I agree or not! It's not appropriate.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      We almost never get to close for weather, but once we closed about an hour early when it was snowing very heavily and we only had about three customers in the last two hours. As we're all standing at the front waiting for the doors to close, guess who drives up? An elderly lady in a Crown Vic. She rolls down her window and yells, "you're not closing, are you?!" And I drove home white-knuckled in terror, while I'm sure she didn't think anything of it.

Every once in a while someone tries to bring up politics to me at work... It doesn't matter if I agree or not! It's not appropriate.
      Last year at this time the county was under a 'Level 3' for 2 days. Basically that means only emergency people out and anyone else can and WILL be ticketed. Police officer told me in those 2 days he thinks they ticketed FIFTEEN elderly people who were out driving in that weather. And not one of them was out for an emergency, it was mostly 'it's my routine day to go grocery shopping/hair appointment/laundromat'

Comment

You realise that those old folks aren't being brave or foolish, they're just unable to see far enough to realise how poor visibility is!
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Heaven forbid that the weatherman wants everyone to BE SAFE. Get him to the firing squad right now! But seriously though, surely everyone knows that it's just a safety announcement and not mandatory? It's not like he is holding a gun to her head, demanding that she must stay indoors. To be honest she just sounds like one of those angry old people who thinks everything is wrong and they are perfect.

I feel sorry for the cashier who had to endure that. Been there myself. I don't get upset because they're not shouting at me, or blaming me, but it's annoying having to stand there and listen and nod along with someone you don't agree with. I did answer back to one guy though, because he was being racist. I don't tolerate shit like that and WILL call you out on it, even if you ARE a customer.

Comment

I went out to the nearby dollar store today to look for.....candy sprinkles. For cookies In my defense we also needed bread and a couple extra cans of cat food. And the store didn't have sprinkles, darn it.

I took the bus so no worries about driving in bad weather, but hell it was cold!! There's no driving ban on today but the wind's blowing pretty hard. Bleah.

As for greeting cards, if you keep a few extras around you won't need to go out in bad weather to buy one! Silly old ladies.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X