Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When working at WM, I had to deal with a lot of fire-zone parking customers a LOT.

In fact, part of my job revolved around telling these people to MOVE out of the fire lane. Until their sense of entitlement kicked in and they screamed bloody murder to management because they THINK they can park wherever they want. I got the "I'll be right back in 2 minutes!" excuse a lot. And they were never back in 2 minutes. Anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours because no one ever goes to a store to go shopping for "just one little thing."

Management became the people to come out and tell them to move. The customers would ignore the pages over the P.A to move their car, so it resulted in the managers having to come out and telling them to move their cars. I enjoyed seeing them do the grunt work that they initially made me do.

The best part was when I could stack stuff up against the fire lane on purpose(pallets of outdoor merchandise), thereby denying them a place to park, or moving pallets quickly towards the direction of their parked vehicle, making it look like I was going to hit them unless they moved. On cart-pushing detail, I once saw an SUV turn on it's turning blinker and began to move into the fire lane where I was walking about 12 carts across. It was the only space in the fire lane where the car was able to park. I deliberately stopped the carts in that spot and leaned against them while having the perfect timing to start a nice conversation with a friendly store-regular customer that I liked. The woman in the SUV stared daggers of hate at me as she got tired of waiting after a minute and drove past me. The customer was amused and said, "You gotta hate those idiots who think they can park in a fire lane, huh? How inconsiderate and lazy can people be?"

Towards the end of my WM career, it became extremely difficult for people to park in a fire lane during my shift. I always came up with new ways to block them from parking there, or to box them in on purpose so that they always got the hint and parked somewhere else the next time.

Comment

This looks like a job for ... Super Argabarga!

But seriously, maybe we could hire some people to guard the fire lane and keep it clear at all times? Maybe hire some volunteers, or put existing security guards on fire lane duty?

Or, when building a parking lot, have some areas protected with a passcode that will be assigned to employees and suppliers only. At least that takes care of part of the problem.
      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post

But seriously, maybe we could hire some people to guard the fire lane and keep it clear at all times? Maybe hire some volunteers, or put existing security guards on fire lane duty?
        Sometimes, especially at places with large lots, I wonder if it would be cost effective to hire a full parking monitor. (I know this has a name, but I can't think of it) Just imagine the money which would roll in. It's the same concept I have for people who cause unnecessary work for retail employees. Oh, you want to drop that ice cream in the soup aisle? Fine, but you pay for the ice cream and also an annoyance fee.

*sigh* I'm so cranky.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

All they need is sharp spikes and a sensor. Something parked in a fire zone that can't possibly be a firetruck? Sharp spike right up through the middle of the car. You can get really fancy and even have the spike lift the car off the ground and out of the way. Problem solved, and I bet people wouldn't park there again!

Okay, okay, never going to happen, but it's fun to dream!
          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
            All they need is sharp spikes and a sensor. Something parked in a fire zone that can't possibly be a firetruck? Sharp spike right up through the middle of the car. You can get really fancy and even have the spike lift the car off the ground and out of the way. Problem solved, and I bet people wouldn't park there again!

Okay, okay, never going to happen, but it's fun to dream!
            Large forklift with road-style tires and padded forks. Empty car in fire lane? Relocate it to the far end of the lot. They'll learn...eventually.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Apparently I just find the way people park very annoying, because here I am again.

The entrance to my work is right at the entrance to the whole shopping center. There are three other large stores, several other smaller ones, and a restaurant. So what have I seen every single day recently? People parked (helpfully with their four-ways blinking *sigh*) directly in front of the store. This completely backs up everyone trying to enter the shopping center, as there is NO WAY to go around, unless the other lane is magically clear. So traffic backs up from the shopping center on the main road.

Why are these people parked there? Maybe picking up an elderly person or someone otherwise challenged? NOPE. Some lazy entitled idiots are using it as a loading zone, instead of walking to the parking lot like everyone else. Other are there for no apparent reason. I could see into one car, and it was a guy and girl, looked like father-daughter. They were just parked there, cheerfully backing up traffic. And just as the cherry on top, since I had perfect line of sight, I could clearly see they they were chatting with big smiles on their faces, coffee in his hand, cell phone in hers. It just made it worse to know that they either didn't know, or didn't care what a huge traffic snarl they were creating.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I absolutely HATE when people park in fire lanes! And the asshats who stay in the car in the fire lane are just as bad. as far as I am concerned, there is no reason to park there unless you are driving a fire truck. If you are picking up someone who is elderly I have no problem as long as you pull up just long enough to get them in the car.

This is a MAJOR pet peeve.

Comment

Hubs and I had to park in the fire lane at a store today but that was because it was pouring down rain and we had the baby but no umbrella (wasn't expecting rain). We unloaded the baby, he parked the car, and we did the same in reverse when we left. I've seen people do that for old folks, and I've had it done for me when I was younger. But we'd never dream of actually leaving the car in the fire zone.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                    All they need is sharp spikes and a sensor. Something parked in a fire zone that can't possibly be a firetruck? Sharp spike right up through the middle of the car.
                    Quoth mhkohne View Post
                    Large forklift with road-style tires and padded forks. Empty car in fire lane? Relocate it to the far end of the lot. They'll learn...eventually.
                    Cellphone with the local "chop shop" on speed dial - and the ability to channel Sgt. Schultz. Car's gone when they (after an extended shopping trip) come back? You saw NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING!
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Apparently I just find the way people park very annoying, because here I am again.

Join the club - your choice of a travel mug or a tshirt ... *sigh*

Rob was dropping me off in front of the building I had a smashogram/ultrasound/dexascan appointment yesterday. AS I am gingerly crawling out of the van to a waiting parked wheelchair some moron is blasting away on the horn and telling me to get a f-ing move on. Double fingered him and took my time.

Honestly, who the hell can't just go around someone in a medical drop off zone, that has multiple lanes exactly to accommodate someone offloading someone?
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The WalMarts around here have the large fire lane in the middle of the two entrances to the building, and any time during afternoons until later at night and on weekends until later at night, the fire lanes are almost always occupied. Half of the time, no handicapped placard. A lot of times, someone is sitting in there, they are just being too lazy to park in a normal spot.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                        X