This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few weird ones from summer shopping

Haven't posted in ages because I haven't been having a very good year, but I thought I would share a few sightings. I was made redundant at the start of Dec, so most of these are from the lead up to Christmas and the sales afterwards.

Where I am 'scary':
    Was doing food shopping, and off in my own little world, when the aisle got invaded by a family with 4 kids. Littlest was in the trolley, but the other 3 were playing a game which seemed to involve trying to crash everyone else's trolleys into the shelves. Oldest would have been about 7-8, next youngest about 4-5.
    Oldest had already pushed 2 trolleys hard enough they bounced of the shelves and knocked a few things to the ground. Then he tried to do the same to mine. Got 2 steps away from it before he realised I was watching and had my 'don't even think about it' face on. Kid went running back to dad yelling 'Daddy that lady is scary! She's really scary!'
    Saw them again 3 aisles down and all 3 were staying very close to their own trolley.

Peeping Tom in training:
    Decided to take advantage of after x-mas sales to try to get new clothes.
    I had just gotten the zip up on one dress when I spotted an arm going under the wall to the next fitting room. My first response is 'Oi! What do you think you are doing?' to alert both the kid and parent. Arm disappears.
    Hadn't even decided if the dress was a 'yay or nay' when an arm and leg appear. Again I called out 'Oi! what do you think you are doing? There is someone in this one.' Still no response from the mum, but the kid's limbs disappear pretty quick.
    Quickly try on next dress, while watching the gap.
    In the middle of doing the bend and sit test and an arm, leg, half the body and face appear. This time, I was not polite. The kid knew that someone was in the fitting room. He would have seen my feet, he had been told twice he had been spotted. So I yelled 'What the hell do you think you are doing? Get out of my fitting room!' I opened my door and saw a staff member coming. She had heard me the first two times and had alerted security before coming to find out what was going on.

Turns out the kid's mum wasn't even in the fitting rooms. He had wondered off and snuck into the fitting rooms and locked himself in to look under the doors and walls. Security had to make several announcements before the mum and aunty decided to come to the lay-by counter where security was waiting with the kid.

Kid was only 6. Imagine what he is going to be like when he is older.

Where I am 'scary' 2:
    Like everyone, I can't stand screeching kids, but mostly because the extreme high notes that they hit really hurt my ears. Which is kinda funny because I used to be one of 'those' kids and can still hit the high notes.
    Was doing the aimless 'what am I going to get for so-and-so?', when a little girl of about 4 starting doing the screechy 'Daddy I want it! I want it! Waaahhhh! I want!' right behind me. Besides scaring the hell out of me with the noise, I didn't even realise anyone was there.
    I must have not had a very happy expression when I turned around because as soon as the little girl saw my face, she stopped screeching and said in a little kid not-whisper 'Daddy she's scary. I don't want anymore.'
    Still have no idea what so wanted so badly but at least she stopped screeching. And the poor dad struggled to keep a straight face.

What the F.......
    Still don't know what this kid was thinking.
    Was waiting the the check outs queue, when the kid of 11ish behind me started bumping me with the overgrown basket on wheels. 2 glares and a bump back and the mum told him to stop and stand beside her. (Yay! A non-clueless parent who parents.)
    Next thing I know someone is blowing on the back of my head. WTF? I shake my head thinking 'Nah just imaging things.' And moved so I was standing sort of sideways in the queue.

Nope, wasn't imagining a thing. Kid was blowing on the back on my head and then decided to start blowing air along my arms when I had turned sideways.

So I turned to face him, crossed my arms and gave him 'The Look'. His mum saw my look, saw his expression, gave him a Gibbs slap and told him to apologise to me. She said that he has been doing the same thing to people since he was little and she has been trying to break him of the habit ever since. She also made him put the video games back because he 'was behaving like a 3 year old.' When he went off in a sulk to return them to electronics, she apologised again and thanked me for not causing a scene.

There were more odd one's I saw out and about and will post them as I remember them.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Peeping Tom would have gotten my shoe in his face 'accidentally', and his parent or guardian a few sharp words...

Comment

This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time I pushed the kid back under the wall with my foot and the mum went hysterical that I dared to touch her precious.

This time I was going to bang on the door and yell at the mother, but the staff member was already coming. She knocked on the door to get the mum to open up when there was a scream from the other side. The kid had tried to crawl under the other wall right where a bra fitting was happening.

Security opened the door, which is how we discovered he was on his own. By the time they were trying to get any details out of him, the other poor lady and I had changed back into our own clothes and meet them in the office area with the fitting room staff member.

It was half an hour before the mum bothered to collect the kid. She coped an earful from security, the other lady and myself before she was allowed to go into the office where they were holding her son with the manager.

I left after that, but the other lady was still very angry and was wanting to call the police. Considering the kid had seen her topless, I wasn't blaming her at all. I had to go, but I gave her and security my mobile number in case the police were called. We also had to fill out an incident report for the store.

In some ways I hope the police were called to hopefully scare the kid into not doing it again.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Oh why oh why aren't their more parents like that last one?

EDIT: The last entry in the first post, I mean.
        Last edited by Evannah; 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I would say call the police more on the mother. There is no six year old I would leave unattended, She should have been in a panic and have had security searching the store for the kid.

So full blame to the parent there.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

If they have a deli they should put a sign on one of the meats that instead of beef or pork says "children left unattended"
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
              I agree. She and the aunt either didn't notice or didn't care that the kid wasn't with them, and then took half an hour to come get him? Major parent fail.

Comment

Has me hoping that CPS got involved.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'd be surprised if the mother didn't blame the unclothed woman for 'exposing' herself to her widdle boy! (regardless of him crawling into a closed stall)...
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                    I would say call the police more on the mother. There is no six year old I would leave unattended, She should have been in a panic and have had security searching the store for the kid.

Blame them both. Definitely get Mommy Dearest in trouble for her lack of parenting, maybe "contributing to the delinquency of a minor". The kid also needs to learn that his actions lead to consequences; though I don't know what is done to six-year-olds. Juvenile hall?
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                      Has me hoping that CPS got involved.
                      I doubt it. Most places will only get CPS involved via the police.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

The Peeping Tom kid was between xmas and new year's eve. I haven't heard anything back from the store or the other lady. If I didn't have a doc's appointment, I would have stuck around.

I'm pretty sure in Oz that the kid has to be over 10 before they can be held responsible for their actions. But I do hope the cops did get called in the end. One scary cop chat might have been enough to make the kid stop. Especially since the adults in his life weren't taking it seriously.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                          If they have a deli they should put a sign on one of the meats that instead of beef or pork says "children left unattended"
                          Would they put that sign on the bratwurst?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Would they put that sign on the bratwurst?
                            I saw what you did there...

Comment

Working...
                            X