Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi unit building intercom advice please!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi unit building intercom advice please!

I'm now living in a multi building which has a Fermax Intercom phone in my flat.

However the buzzer sound is sooo soft and so quiet even after I've turned it up as much as I can inside the unit that I've already had one missed delivery and just never hear it. Not helped by the way my flat is laid out meaning that I have 2 walls between me and the handset and the flat actually deadens noise very well.

I've asked the management agents who can get a further speaker unit fitted but it would still be near the same place as the exisiting one and they think it won't help that much. I've asked them to do it anyway...

So... any ideas?

The handset I have is this one: http://www.intercomsrus.com/handset%...ta%20Sheet.pdf

Note : I cannot put a personal seperate item on the outside of the building and the building is secure so I can't put on delivery instructions for people to come in and have a door bell on the outside of my door instead. I have to "build" on the system that is already here.
    Last edited by EricKei; 01-22-2015, 04:29 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Techgeek suggestion - and I have no idea if you're tech-geeky enough to do this.

Build a device which has a short-range unidirectional microphone pointed at the speaker. Whenever it hears the speaker, it alerts you.
    Means of alerting you include sending a bluetooth signal to any bluetooth receivers you own, or blaring Pachelbel's Canon out of a speaker it has, or sending a signal to strategically-placed speakers in your flat that then play Flight of the Bumblebees....

I get creative when I've not had enough sleep.

I also thought of blaring a red alert siren and flashing red lights, but maybe that's overkill.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

A baby monitor system that's turned up really high may work, but it'll pick up and amplify any other sounds near the speaker area, as well.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Seshat - they do make "door knocker" detectors which can send a visual alert to a blinker for the hard of hearing. Not sure if it would pick up a PE buzzer* or not but is one definate idea.

EricKei - definately an idea I like and there isn't a *lot* of sound it could pick up in the area. only the door being knocked or the buzzer sound... most of the ones I have found the baby side of the unit runs off mains only for some reason so I'd have to run a power feed to it. Not impossible and would definately boost how much I could hear it.

*A semi-electrian friend looked at the pictures in the PDF of the handset and says he thinks the buzzer is a PE type which is (from my basic understanding) not a sound as much as vibration caused by the current being passed through the circuit by pressing the outdoor call button. Since there isn't an external power supply I think that is right.
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

You could contact the manufacturer and see what they would suggest. The unit could be defective and in need of replacement.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Brand new unit was only put in a few weeks ago - prior one didn't work at all and it was the first thing that I asked the management company about when I got the keys. The management company have an intercom engineer outsourced/on staff who is the one who has given them the information about the extra speaker etc.

If anything is defective its the wiring between me and the front panel.... which would mean a lot of work to pull out and replace and would (possibly) mean the whole block has to be redone.

Comment

Update on this:

Ordered and been using a baby monitor since I set up this thread and whilst it does pick up the buzzer when set right on top of it it also picked up any hallway activity and any bathroom noise.... oops. Its a great way to deal with the issue short term however and if anyone finds this thread later go for it!

I did get to hear several arguments from the flat downstairs with their arriving and departing guests which was mildly amusing however . I won't miss them when they leave soon....

The new speaker unit has today been fitted and is so much better. Its got a huge PE unit in it which makes it as loud as the more usual buzzers. I don't think I'll have any problems at all hearing it whereever I am. Also much helped by where he placed it right above the lounge door so its right in the "echo" area of the hallway and mid point between all of the room doors rather than in a "dead" area. I may regret this if someone finds it at night but so far that doesn't seen to be a problem for this area so far...

Happy Gizmo!

Comment

Working...
              X