Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The right graphic designer for me is ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right graphic designer for me is ...

... and basically that's the question.

I have been a freelancer for quite some time now and have always thought about getting my own logo. As I will have to get new business cards in the near future, I thought that this might be the right time to finally get one and the business cards to match. Unfortunately there are too many fish/designers in the sea and I have no idea what best to look for. I'm not talking about money here, but rather about the designer's style. So maybe some of you may have some tips for me:

- I assume that the best way to see if a designer's style is what I'm looking for is to check their portfolio. Is that right or am I missing something?
    - What is a reasonable number of drafts/revisions to be expected for the "starting-price". I'm aware that there will be additional charges after a certain point, which is perfectly reasonable. :-)
    - I know there are all kinds of people, but are there any things to look out for that may be a sign for disaster?
    - Do I have to have a clear idea of what I want to get as a logo or will a designer be more happy with a more general idea ("Make it stylish and professional and modern and it should really stand out" ).

If you think that any of my ideas/thoughts are unreasonable, please let me know. I definitely don't want to be one of THOSE clients.
    “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

I Don't know how busy she is, but check with the poster Seraph. I think she does graphic design.

I think, though, you'd probably at least need to know what sort of color scheme you might want. And "stylish, professional, modern, and it should really stand out" is a little bit ambiguous. It might help to find a few logos you like, or logos that have elements that you like, too.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Definitely look at their portfolio, and you can use the general description as a lead in, e.g., "I want it stylish, etc...and here's what I mean by that. (specific info). Is this something you can work with?"
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        And "stylish, professional, modern, and it should really stand out" is a little bit ambiguous.
        I know, I wanted to exaggerate a little.

And thanks already to both of you for your tips. That's definitely good advice and something to note before I get in contact with a designer.
        “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
        ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Comment

My friend does freelance graphic design work, and is very laidback, easygoing, and easy to work with. You can check out some of her past work at
          www.oneflightupdesign.net/portfolio.html.

Good luck!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
          X