This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaking the ol' resume...

Ok, I'm considering tweaking my resume a little. I'm considering a change of format, which brings me to my question.

I tinker with stuff at home (ASP.NET MVC, WPF, Java, Android, MySQL, Oracle, things like that)

I've used some of that (namely, Oracle, but I'm learning the MVC and the WPF) in a professional capacity, but I'm wondering if I should include things I tinker with on my resume.

I was thinking of including a category such as "Miscellaneous", that would have things like that under it.

What say you??
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I would put it under "Miscellaneous" or whatever you choose to call it, and style it "working knowledge of" whatever you listed up there. That way, you're not claiming to be an expert, but it gets the point across that you do have a familiarity with those things. JMHO, YMMV.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      I would put it under "Miscellaneous" or whatever you choose to call it, and style it "working knowledge of" whatever you listed up there. That way, you're not claiming to be an expert, but it gets the point across that you do have a familiarity with those things. JMHO, YMMV.
      Hadn't considered the "working knowledge of" verbiage. Thanks!

I already have a section for "Entrepreneurial Activities", so I think adding a "Miscellaneous" wouldn't hurt...especially using the "working knowledge of" verbiage.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Perhaps consider "Other skills" as an alternative to misc.? You want your big 2 or 3 relevant skills/programs right up front; everything else can go further down.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X