This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a reason it's the road less traveled

As as some of you know I install microwave communication systems. Currently I am working on a project to remove obsolete equipment for the big red checkmark. This means removing antenna dishes from towers and the radios from the shelters at the base of these towers.

This past Wednesday I get to a site where I was supposed to pick up a couple of dishes. The site is in a field (as a lot of them are) on the wrong side of the railroad tracks from the road. Now, when accessing these sites we are supposed to use gates that have been installed by the owner of the tower, and at these gates is a sign with an FCC registration number. This is THE gate we are supposed to use. We get onto site with no issues load the dishes on our trailers and start to head off, after getting stuck in the mud two or three times. As I'm exiting I notice the three vehicle traffic jam near the train tracks and there is no train. There is instead an elderly woman who is very animatedly talking to two of the other trucks in turn.

Now, It's my turn.

"GET OFF MAH ROAD!!!!!"

*blinkblink*

"THIS IS A PRIVATE ROAD Y'ALL AINT ALLOWED ON IT"

"Okay ma'am may I ask who I need to contact in the future if I need to come back"

"YOU NEED TO TALK TO JIMBOB WHOSHISNAME BUT I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE YOU ON MAH ROAD AGAIN!!!!eleventy!!!"

At this point I could honestly care less who she said mostly because the whole reason we were taking down the microwave was because this site and all of the ones around it are already on terrestrial fiber and won't need it anymore.

BONUS: One of the tower hands had gotten out of the truck and started talking to her. Now if you've never met a tower hand, the general rule of thumb is DON'T LET THEM TALK TO THE PUBLIC.

You left out the best part!

SHE DIDN'T EVEN OWN THE ROAD. IT BELONGED TO MR. WHATSHISNAME.

I was on the phone with Wolfie, as we were keeping ourselves occupied during long car rides, and I got to hear the whole thing!

Comment

Let me guess, Mr. WHATSHISNAME was the owner of the tower too.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Nope, tower is wholly owned by big red check mark they just lease the land.

Comment

Quoth xx_wolfie_xx View Post
          Nope, tower is wholly owned by big red check mark they just lease the land.
          Which means they have an access agreement, so old biddy's land or not she can't stop you.

Of course it sounds like you no longer have anything here so no more easement...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            Of course it sounds like you no longer have anything here so no more easement...
            I think they still have the transceiver that talks to the phones (850MHz band, isn't it?), so they still need the tower. They just don't need the dish, or the receiver associated with it.

What do they do with those, anyway? Is it going to show up on eBay at some point?

Comment

They still have an active cell tower there running LTE as for what happens to all of the equipment, the dishes are recycled, not by us unfortunately as is the wave guide, again not by us. The radios are taken to a warehouse east of Dallas where they are removed from inventory and I imagine resold to emerging markets.

Comment

Working...
              X