This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's legal, go away dumb man

This happened a few years back. I was a teenager then.
    One day my aunt and I went driving around, doing errands and whatnot. My aunt had a passion for photography lately, which was a bit annoying. She would take pictures of EVERYTHING: workers in the drive thru, libraries, ponds, parks, you name it, she took a picture of. So she stops the car near a busy intersection and says "wait here a moment."
    She gets out, takes her camera out, which is a big old thing with a zooming lens and snaps away. She snaps and snaps, and I say, "Are you done yet? It's getting dark."
    She ignores me and continues. I think, what's so special aobut a boring ol intersection, when I notice a man stops in his big SUV and gets out and approaches her. He is built like a tank. I'm already tense because it's clear from his expression that he's NOT HAPPY.
    "You're not allowed to take pictures here!" he growls.
    My aunt, who's pretty feisty, continues. "It's a public area!"
    "Get out, you're not allowed to take pictures, no pictures allowed!" he insists.
    SHe says no and he keeps saying "no pictures!" over and over. I was only a teen then, but I was kinda sure he was wrong. I've seen people take pictures in public before, and we were in a public street, so...
    However, what's a middle aged lady and a teen girl gonna do? A small crowd came over, watching from a distance. I wasn't sure if they were there to stop the guy if he was going to get physical, or they were his friends. I was panicked, but then a cop car pulled over (I guess he saw passing by) and got out.
    Long story short, the cop asks the guy what's going on, guy says, she was taking my picture of me and my car, and I don't like it, and it's illegal, and la la la.
    THe cop tells him it's legal, tells my aunt that some people don't like having their picture taken, and turns back to the guy, but he's skaddadled away, with a final "It's illegal!" in his huge car, pointing at us.
    My aunt nods, goes back to her car and starts the engine and drives away, as placidly as you please. I'm glad that she got tired of that hobby soon after...
    BTW look it up online when I got home. Yep, it's legal, guy was just an ass.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

The guy probably had something to hide!

Comment

Some people just hate being photographed - even by family.
      I have known a few like that, it's mostly shyness in the cases I have seen or embarrassed by body image.

Comment

I try to be as unobtrusive as I can in public places, and would ask permission anyway since I know some people are very photo-conscious. But, if push comes to shove, and I see something in public I want to photograph, they have no legal recourse to stop me.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
        X