Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was single 37ish years. I think Valentines is great, but why a single day that you appreciate the special other in your life? I've had a long distance relationship for a few years now, and I am a hopeless romantic. I try to do virtual things to show my Special other every day that they are appreciated. Leaving little notes, sending virtual flowers 'just because', and the like. When we are face to face, I will continue to do that but not virtually. I have nothing against Valentines (and like some the day after is awesome for getting candy at steep discounts), but won't limit myself to one day where I show the person I am with just how special they are.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      I volunteered to work Saturday night, but not to avoid the holiday. I need the money. I've been single for 20 years; seeing other people celebrate their love doesn't bother me at all. It makes me happy. OK, don't sling arrows at me now.
      Contrary to what some people think, I am against neither love nor romance. Frankly, I'm a fan of both. What I AM opposed to is this particular holiday, specifically because I am a romantic and a fan of love. Frankly, I find this day to be a a convenient apology holiday for all the folks who couldn't or wouldn't bother to be romantic the rest of the year, and now are making up for it with their significant other. I am with Mytical, in that I like doing special things for that special someone in my life throughout the year, so to do it that one day that everyone else is doing it make it not only not special to me, but it actually cheapens it.

This is NOT to say that I have a problem with other people who celebrate or enjoy this holiday, or think lease of them. These are just my opinions of the day, that some other people share. To people who enjoy it, knock yourselves out.

Me, I'll be celebrating Arizona Day!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

I'm with you, Jester. I'm firmly of the belief that if you truly love somebody that you don't need a particular day to show how you feel - you show it every day.

Comment

Amen, brothers and sisters.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Me, I'll be celebrating Arizona Day!
            And I'll be celebrating Chocolate Markdown Eve.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'll be celebrating Arizona Day by playing poker, and drinking here in the frozen Minnesota tundra.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I will be working AND with the temps forecasted to be in the -10's WITHOUT the wind chill factor it should be a VERY interesting night.

But then again I am technically single but in a committed relationship with my GF (degenerative brain disease). we can not get married because my salary and assets would count against her for social/state services purposes. Now the most either of us can do is a card and not much else

Previously with the now Ex we did plan around V-Day something special (not really on V-Day somewhere near) like baby sitter for DD and for us maybe dinner movie and some fun afterward. For the most part it was cards and some small gift to each other with some alone time reserved for at least part of one night

After a while though Ex bought into the commercial aspect of V-Day and wanted a lot more of the bells and whistles and that did not go over well with me.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

If you do choose to use prickly pear and chocolate to celebrate your special day,don't be surprised if your other half ends up squealing....

and nearly 36 years single,Valentine's is just another day,I can save my money for things other than giant teddies and huge red cards...
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I wouldn't be making a fuss over this even if I was in a relationship unless the other person wanted to, also. I believe BOTH partners should get gifts, not just one of them, if you're going to do it at all.

And since getting anywhere by bus right now is a major PITA, I just picked up a box of sponge candy. I can't eat much of it but god that stuff is tasty!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've been single my whole life, and I just have to say, I don't get what the big deal is, getting even mildly upset about that on one day of the year where such is suddenly seen as tragic and something to stress over.

As if relationships have some kind of magical significance this day, but NOT the other 364.

To me, it's just another "holiday" that's been bastardized beyond recognition by commercialization, the only people who seem to really be loudly celebrating it are those, coincidentally, running advertisements.

Now, if that came off as negative or a put down, then it came out wrong.

If you had something special planned today, go for it, but, I, personally, never saw why some people would beat themselves up if they've got nothing to celebrate.

Not giving a flip about each and every single holiday that comes 'roud can be liberating too.
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Not giving a flip about each and every single holiday that comes 'roud can be liberating too.
                        This is a good point, really. The Christmas that I had the least tension was the year my father passed away (right before Thanksgiving 1998). I felt totally removed from the holidays so I told myself I didn't HAVE to be happy just because the rest of the world seemed to be. Result? I actually relaxed, didn't give a flip whether Christmas was "perfect", and let myself grieve. That was so much easier than trying to celebrate when my heart wasn't in it.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I ended up making mix-n-match margaritas while I watched romcoms. I didn't follow recipes; I just made stuff up. My favorite was the chocolate orange margarita:

2 parts tequila (I used Cuervo gold, because that's what I could afford)
                          1 part creme de cocoa
                          1 part triple sec

It was yummy.
                          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                          X