This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project, new skills

So as soon as my order of wool roving arrives, I'll be trying my hand at making a felted wool cat cave. As well as a set of dryer balls. And possibly also a couple of sets of felted slippers. I should have more than enough to make a couple of caves and the dryer balls and one or two sets of slippers; I ordered two pounds of roving to get started with (one pound of white, and one pound of assorted earth tones). If the wet felting goes well (and the cats don't decide they need to steal my roving for playing with or eating), I may also get some needles and try my hand at needle felting.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Important lesson learned- do NOT put a felted cat cave into a washing machine to wash the soap out of it. It was going beautifully up to that point. Ah well, I have enough wool to try it again, this time with less fail.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

What went wrong (besides shrinkage)? In my limited understanding, the only bad things that happen to wool articles in a washing machine are that they shrink, and they get felted (which in your case, since it was already a felted item, wouldn't be that bad).
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It shrank TOO much, now it's a kitten cave. I doubt it's large enough for a full grown cat to get into.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          It shrank TOO much, now it's a kitten cave. I doubt it's large enough for a full grown cat to get into.
          Judging from numerous pictures on the Internet of cats fitting in small places, do not underestimate the abilities of your cat. Leave the shrunken cave out, and keep a camera handy.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            Judging from numerous pictures on the Internet of cats fitting in small places, do not underestimate the abilities of your cat. Leave the shrunken cave out, and keep a camera handy.
            Yes.....

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'll try to get pics if either cat even looks at it. So far they don't seem to be aware that it even exists. Cat cave v2.0 is almost done, and is looking really good so far, it may well wind up being JUST big enough for both of them to squeeze into at once, and they do like to cuddle together.

Comment

Here's a pic of both caves, with Mister Kitteh sitting in front of them. The bigger one is still damp (hence, the towel). Mister Kitteh is my 'pygmy' Maine Coon, he weighs less than 10 pounds and is pretty much fully grown.

Good grief, but wool hangs on to water and takes forever to dry! And also begs the question, why don't sheep shrink when they get wet?
                Attached Files

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  ... why don't sheep shrink when they get wet?
                  Lots of sheep grease in the wool...

(Lanolin)
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                    And also begs the question, why don't sheep shrink when they get wet?
                    Lanolin - it's an oily substance that coats each strand of wool, so the strands themselves don't get wet. From what I've heard, it's a bitch to get out of the fleece before it's processed into yarn.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I can add from trying my hand at needle felting, that while it is very easy to pick up, the felting needles are a BITCH should you accidentally stab yourself with one. If you think sewing needles hurt, these ones hurt like a bitch.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        I can add from trying my hand at needle felting, that while it is very easy to pick up, the felting needles are a BITCH should you accidentally stab yourself with one. If you think sewing needles hurt, these ones hurt like a bitch.
                        Ooooh yea, I hadn't thought about that. All those little barbs. Ouchies.

Comment

Working...
                        X