This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When asking for help...

On a recent thread, I briefly noted at the end that one of Hubby's CW's died on a job site recently. It was diabetic-related death.

During the course of the investigation, neighbors were interviewed, and some new and somewhat infuriating details have emerged, however.

If you're having a really good day, you may want to stop reading this now and come back later.

The site is an office building that is typically closed on weekends. They have weekend guards who basically sit in their cars and patrol around the outside every hour. The building is locked, so they just patrol the outside grounds.

Around 6am the day of the incident, the guard apparently realized he was beginning to have serious trouble. His cell phone was dead, unfortunately, and he must not have had a car charger. So he went to get help.

He went to the house across the street to get help. He knocked and someone answered the door. He told them he was having a medical emergency and to call 911.

They shut the door in his face.

They shut the door in his face.

He apparently made it back to his car and gave himself an insulin injection, but it was too late. At 11am, an office employee found him dead in his car. Time of death was ruled to be around 7am.

He needed help, and they shut the door in his face.

I am so infuriated and disgusted and furious about this. I know which house it is too...on weekdays I deliver to that office building, so I see that house every day (everything around them is apartments that don't face the street, so it's the only place the guard would have made it to). It was all I could do this morning when I heard the news to not go over there and pound down their door and give them a piece of my mind.

If they'd called 911 like he'd asked, there's a chance he could have gotten help in time and survived. He would have at least had a chance. But they didn't. They willfully ignored him. And now he's dead.

I'm presuming these details emerged when the house occupants were interviewed, meaning they surely must know by now the outcome of what happened. I hope to hell they feel guilty and carry this guilt with them. They knew he was in trouble. The guard flat-out told them he was diabetic and in a medical crisis. And they fucking did nothing.

I'll be in my corner fuming if anyone needs me.
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 02-10-2015, 01:39 PM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Allow me to join you in your corner. That could so easily have been any of us, sadly.

Comment

Unbelievable.

Comment

That's pathetic!

One Christmas morning at 6am, we got a knock on our door. It was our neighbor. She was covered in blood and her face was so swollen she could barely see. Her husband has beaten her up. Not only did my mom call 911, she made her coffee, wrapped a blanket around her and sat and talked with her until the police and paramedics arrived.

That happened over 20 years ago and I still remember it vividly. That is how you handle someone who needs help.
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Is there someone in the house with diminished mental capacity or something? I'm trying to think of a reason that someone would open the door and REFUSE to call 911 for someone. Other than someone with serious issues, I can't come up with a reason that doesn't involve being a absolutely horrible person.
          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

You know what. I can very easily come up with a scenario to explain this.

The people in the house had some kind of vendetta against the property across the street. Maybe their house was there first, and then someone built a commercial/office/industrial space across the street in the vacant lot, and they resent other people doing what they like with their own damn property without asking their holy selves first. Maybe twenty years ago someone from there parked blocking their alley or something stupid like that, and they've born a grudge ever since.

So when someone from that property came there looking for help, they said F* you and closed the door on him. Haha, they said, we finally got back at those @$$holes. And they sat down gleefully rubbing their hands together and had coffee.

eta:

Hopefully karma will come back and bite them on the ass. Hard. And soon.
            Last edited by Shalom; 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Involuntary manslaughter comes to mind...

Comment

. That truly sucks, I'm sorry that happened. If I were you knowing I'd have to deliver to that very place that the guy sought help from I would leave a note as well saying "Thanks for letting that man die you asshole!" Then again that's just me.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

Does the deceased have family that could sue the bejeezus out of these people?

I also wonder, what would be the outcome of a series of persons with signs sitting on the sidewalk across from this house? Signs saying things like "Don't ask for help." "Calling 911 is too much trouble." "We'll let you die." "Heartless." And handouts for anyone who asks about them.

I mean, they admitted it, right? People should be warned, right?

Comment

I have no words.

At least no words that can be repeated in mixed company.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

So... When the neighbor was interviewed he/she told the police "Oh, him? Yeah, he came over with some BS story about an emergency, and I was NOT going to fall for that!" I mean, how freaking stupid and heartless can you be?

Will be interesting to see what, if anything happens to that person.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Ye gods; normally calling for help is the natural reaction when a stranger calls... But the one time the stranger actually asks for that? Boo! Boo, I say!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quick question: do the guards wear any type of uniform that states they are security or work for the office building?

Reason why I ask is because a complete stranger banging at my door at 6am that says they are having a 'medical emergency' will set off my alarm bells. Doesn't mean that I condone the actions of the neighbors nor would I refuse to call 911, but I would be highly suspicious of it.
                          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I would have qualms about admitting a stranger, especially if I were home alone (home invasion robberies do happen in my area). However, I'd be calling 911 ASAP.

Just ignoring the matter is not an option.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

In the infamous words of Dr. McCoy, good God man!

If I had been the officer/detective involved, I'd have hauled these sorry wastes of space in front of the deceased's family (if he had any) & demand they admit to the family that they refused help for their loved one, help that may well have saved his life

I mean, how much effort does it take to dial 3 numbers????
                              "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Working...
                              X