This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see what you did there.

Partner and I went into work yesterday to pick up new light globes. As we were approaching the aisles, I see a clueless dad hand his toddler age child a light globe I'm assuming he brought in to use as a sample (please have been a sample, electrical suffers enough shrinkage as it is). Child is sitting in a trolley. Child smiles sweetly...and promptly drops the globe on the floor, where it smashes. Funny how they do that. Dad, being a totally responsible human being, looks around, doesn't spot anyone, and starts trying to kick the bits of broken light under our shelving. This is one of my pet hates. If I reach under a shelf to get signage out, I don't wanna slice my hands open because some idiot decided they couldn't deal with their own mistake.

At this point, I popped into view and asked him whether he'd like me to get a dustpan so he can sweep up his mess.

Clueless Dad: "Hahaha, yeah sure, I was just gonna go get one myself!"
    Ok then buddy. I didn't just catch you trying to hide your mess. I grabbed him a dustpan, and to his credit, he swept it up. I took it off of him and got the girls up the front to chuck it in the glass bin.

Seriously though people, there were three TM's in the next aisle. It's not that hard to tell one of them "hey, I dropped a globe, have you got a broom or something?"

Also, ffs, don't hand delicate items to a toddler! Firstly, he could have hurt himself, and secondly, toddlers break shit! All the time! Argh!
    Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

He was probably scared someone would make him pay for it. Years ago, I worked a mall kiosk filled with wonderful, handmade, extremely breakable, expensive items. We had signage up to read if items were damaged customers would be charged full price for the broken items.

A lady was with her small child, who would NOT stop touching. I told the lady that her child needed to keep his hands to himself, to which she responded that he was very "gentle" and would "be fine". No sooner than the words left her mouth----CRASH.

He pulled a one of a kind, hand made vase off the shelf onto the floor. a 3 hundred dollar vase. She immediately yelled out that the kid didn't mean to do it, and did she have to buy it. I did make her purchase it. I also bagged up all the pieces and told her that maybe she could glue them together. She paid for it, but did talk about calling my boss.

I called him right after she left. He said I could have given her 50% off of it. I said I would have, but she ignored me every time I told her that her child needed to stop touching things.

Comment

All that work, wasted.

There're two very easy ways to keep children under control in a store like that (excluding children with genuine problems).

Method 1: train them to keep their hands behind their back in certain shops (or on command)

Method 2: don't take them into those shops.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        All that work, wasted.

There're two very easy ways to keep children under control in a store like that (excluding children with genuine problems).

Method 1: train them to keep their hands behind their back in certain shops (or on command)

Method 2: don't take them into those shops.
        Method 1 I've heard of parents teaching their kids about "pocket stores". This is where they have to keep their hands in their pockets whenever they go into a certain type of store.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth April View Post
          Years ago, I worked a mall kiosk filled with wonderful, handmade, extremely breakable, expensive items. We had signage up to read if items were damaged customers would be charged full price for the broken items.
          In the shopping centre near where I live, there is sometimes a stall like this - the items are beautiful, covetable and fragile, and the (very nice) lady who runs the stall has a large sign displayed which reads;

'Pretty to look at,
          Lovely to hold;
          If you break it,
          Consider it sold.'
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
            In the shopping centre near where I live, there is sometimes a stall like this - the items are beautiful, covetable and fragile, and the (very nice) lady who runs the stall has a large sign displayed which reads;

'Pretty to look at,
            Lovely to hold;
            If you break it,
            Consider it sold.'
            That sign's up in a number of places. I remember actually seeing it at the Plaster Fun House as a kid (for the unfamiliar, it's literally "pick a plaster model, paint it, glaze it ta-dah!")

There's also one I've seen in a couple of New Age/Estoteric stores that says "Stealing is bad karma-you will also be prosecuted."
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              There's also one I've seen in a couple of New Age/Estoteric stores that says "Stealing is bad karma-you will also be prosecuted."
              They could have improved their joke "Stealing will land you in the wrong kind of karma - a police kar-ma".
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              X