This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physiology and weight training??

Ok, I'm looking to start doing some working out.

I know for sure I want to do some isometric exercises, and I'm going to start out my cardio with either walking or skipping rope.

My big question is regarding weight lifting.

I found a workout that I think I want to try, and it only really requires a max of 95 pounds. I figure I can get one of those "mix and match" barbell sets, and some dumbbells, and do what I need to.

Anyway, the weights used for each lift are what I have questions about.

For instance, the workout says (IIRC) to do 4 sets of 6 barbell curls at 65 pounds. That doesn't sound like much, I know, but it also sounds like a lot to start off with.

The reason I ask is that I heard/read somewhere that if I start off with too much, it's not good for tendons/ligaments. It also says to do something like 4 sets of 8 push-ups (32, total) with 70 pounds on your back. I don't think I want to start that way. I think, at my current body weight and since this will be a "new" workout program, I'll just start off with that 4x8 pushups with no weight.

Also, I'm wondering what I could do for some good, solid "core" work. I've been having a problem with my lower back, and I'm not sure how well it would stand up to 5 sets of 12 crunches right now...

I think this workout is supposed to be done 3x a week. I just need to buy the weights...

Any thoughts or advice?

When I get the chance, I'll try to post a more thorough version of the workout.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Not a trainer, but I've got a few recommendations:

- Check with your doctor before starting ANY exercise program. The 65 pound barbells don't sound like much to start out with (I believe the bar alone, without any weights on it, is around 30-40 pounds, so there wouldn't be many plates on it), but STARTING with 70 pounds on your back for pushups?

- Is there a GOOD gym (free pizza is generally a contra-indication) that will allow a month-to-month NON-autorenew membership? I'd suggest that for the first few months. They'd have all the weights, and (might cost a bit more) coaches to show you the proper technique.

- Any weightlifting where there's a chance of getting trapped (e.g. bench press) needs to be done either on a machine ("bar" doesn't go down past a certain point, so you won't get trapped), or with a spotter (who can help get the bar off you if it's too much to lift on your own). This is a safety precaution, and another reason it's a good idea to start out at a gym instead of buying your own weights to use at home.

- If you do buy your own weights, there are 2 kinds. One has cast-iron plates, the other has vinyl-covered plates. The vinyl-covered ones use a cement-type material poured into the vinyl covers - they're generally cheaper but less durable than the cast-iron plates.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Start with low weights, and slowly.

You should feel a sensation which you might at first interpret as discomfort, but will eventually come to recognise as a sensation of your muscles working. It becomes a good feeling, for healthy people. Even the aftermath sensation, the one of growing new muscle, can feel good for healthy people.

Even when you're starting out, it should be discomfort rather than pain.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Not a trainer, but I've got a few recommendations:

- Check with your doctor before starting ANY exercise program.
        I actually did go to a doctor a few months back who did suggest I start exercising. I have a very sedentary job, and she suggested exercise.

The 65 pound barbells don't sound like much to start out with (I believe the bar alone, without any weights on it, is around 30-40 pounds, so there wouldn't be many plates on it), but STARTING with 70 pounds on your back for pushups?
        This is a different weight set. It's a complete set of 100#. So the bar doesn't weigh 45 pounds (though I know all too well which bars you're talking about). As far as push-ups, I'd be starting with my normal body weight.

- Is there a GOOD gym (free pizza is generally a contra-indication) that will allow a month-to-month NON-autorenew membership? I'd suggest that for the first few months. They'd have all the weights, and (might cost a bit more) coaches to show you the proper technique.
        Well, sort of. There's a gym down the street from where I work, but I'd have to leave my house at 6 AM every morning (I think) in order to get there, work out, shower, get changed, and get to work. And after work all I really want to do is get home to my family, and get done at home the things I need to do.

- Any weightlifting where there's a chance of getting trapped...
        Well, this particular workout doesn't involve bench press. Not in a traditional sense, anyway. That's basically what the push-ups are for.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

my trainer(yes I paid for a personal trainer for 9 months), started me on 10 pound curls and that actually hurt, starting with 65 does NOT sound like a "beginner" workout.
          After a number of reps your form breaks down from fatigue and you can really do damage.

I actually got better results from the TRX system at the gym than from any of the weights. My trainer swore by the TRX, she keeps one at home, and one in her car.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            my trainer(yes I paid for a personal trainer for 9 months), started me on 10 pound curls and that actually hurt, starting with 65 does NOT sound like a "beginner" workout.
            10 pounds sounds like dumbell curls (one arm) - wouldn't even account for the bare bar in a barbell set. OP specified barbell curls (which would be 2-handed, so could handle more weight).
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's always better to start low and work your way up than to start too high and work your way down. I would suggest starting a bit lower than you think you need to and increase weight as needed in order to be safe. Good rule of thumb generally is that per set, you should be lifting enough to complete 12-15 reps in good form, with the last rep being a challenge. If you can do more than that in a set, that's a signal to increase the weight. The good form is important to help prevent injury; if you can't do it in good form, use less weight until you can get the form down and then start increasing the weight.

If you're having lower-back issues and your doc has cleared you, look into strengthening your lower back. It's part of your core. "Supermans" are an example of a lower-back exercise. Planks are good total-core exercise, too.

And lastly, remember to listen to your body. Some soreness is to be expected (DOMS), but there's a difference between "really good workout" sore and "oh ouch something's wrong" sore. If it feels like the latter, lighten up your weight or give it a rest.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Are you really looking for straight strength training? I mean if you just want to get "in shape" so to speak then cardio and weightless core/flexibility exercises with just your own body weight are fine. If you have lower back problems though you might want to get in an appointment with a physiotherapist before you attempt anything major to make sure you have no joint/disk problems at the root cause of your back problems. Crunches especially are kind shit for your back to be honest.

I had to do a *lot* of physiotherapy, specifically core strengthening and flexibility exercises to even begin the undo the lower back problems from my desk job. ( It ultimately all failed but that's another story. )

Comment

GK has a point: the psoas muscle connects from the inside of the lower spine to the pelvis.

Situps, crunches, and other exercises which pull the front of the pelvis towards the front of the ribcage are (usually) intended to be done with the muscles of the front of the abdomen, not psoas.
                  Doing them incorrectly usually means that psoas is being used - and thus, the inside of the lower spine is being pulled inwards.

Now, there's nothing wrong with having a nice, strong psoas muscle. But if it's stronger than the muscles that hold the spine in place, and you then go ahead and use it at full strength ... owwwwww!

Bellydance can be a great way to strengthen not just the front of your abdomen, but the back and sides as well. There are also exercises like sitting or kneeling on an exercise ball (or learning to stand on one!), and - well, anything where you're intentionally using and moving the abdominal muscles, all the way around.
                  Some people (including Toth!) don't learn in childhood how to deliberately pull the front of the pelvis up towards the ribs, or ditto the side or back: bellydance can seem hard to learn if that's the case for you. We started Toth just on finding the right 'buttons to press' in his brain to move his hips in each direction - one direction at a time. His core muscles are getting better and better, because he's having a lot of fun developing new patterns to move his hips in!
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                  X