X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Suck - but not a foul!

This happened to me a few weeks ago:

It's close to the end of my shift and I'm working on a speedy register. I'm tired of course so it gets harder to lift cases of beer and such. Customer comes up with three different cases of beer in her cart and of course my hand scanner isn't working very well so I have to lift up the beer onto the bag carousel to scan it. I get to the third case and I miss a little and bump it into the side of the carousel - the corner of it poked a hole in the box, no biggie in my opinion. I scan it and set it back in the cart and ring the customer's other items. Then she points out that one of the cans is dented. I look at her and get that rude look back that lets me know I've just got to go get another case. So I haul the thing out of her cart and head down action alley to the display and switch it out - a dented can is not a big deal to me - there's no hole in the can and no beer spewing out! So I get back to her cart with the new case and she says "Did you get that out of the refrigerator?"

"Nooo....."

"Well that's where I got it from!" - RUDELY.

So I haul ass back AGAIN all the way to the fridge for a cold case. When I got back to the register I turned my light off and set out the closed sign as soon as I could because after that lady I was more than DONE.
    Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
    "Well that's where I got it from!"
    Well then that's where she can get another one from.

Geezalou, if the can ain't swelling up like that toad's throat then it should be safe to drink even if there is a slight dent.

Comment

Not being a SC, here's what I would have done. Seeing that the hand scanner was having issues, I'd have picked up the other two boxes myself. Wow. Problem solved. If a can was dented I'd have solved it by drinking that one first. I do the same when I'm baking cookies. I eat the slightly misshapen ones first, 'cause I'm weird like that.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

When I buy something big and heavy at the grocery store, I always pick it up and hold it while the cashier scans it. I figure they have enough to deal with and I'm gonna have to put it in the car/schlep it in the house anyway.
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Food safety note: a dented can that's had enough time to develop rust can be a health issue; especially if the rust has gone through to the food.

Obviously, that wasn't the case this time. And since she wanted the cold stuff, it was about to be drunk looong before it could possibly rust!
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Ternasthebard View Post
            Geezalou, if the can ain't swelling up like that toad's throat then it should be safe to drink even if there is a slight dent.
            Normally, if a dented (or sometimes just old) can is swelling (or even if it's just lost vaccuum - the lid should pop up when pierced by a can opener), it's a sign that it's got "wildlife" growing in it, and should be discarded. Don't even taste it.

Of course, this was a freshly-dented can (not enough time for "wildlife" to have acted), and due to the carbonation beer cans will always be under pressure. Also, the alcohol content would discourage "wildlife".
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I try not to buy any can that is dented...but I don't make a fuss.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

While I'd never fuss over a slightly dented can of something I planned to use right away...sometimes you just can't win. I was going to have a lot of people over for Thanksgiving so that meant lots of beer, right? I put the 30 pack on the belt, the nice cashier told me that I didn't need to do that because they have the code in their book. A couple of days before New Years, I went back to the same grocery store and left the 30 pack in my cart. The cashier came around to pick it up and put it on the belt and scan it. When I mentioned that I had been told to leave it in my cart because the code was in the book, he got a little snotty.

So, last week, I went back to the same store, bought food and another 30 pack of beer. Put the beer on the belt and the cashier told me that next time I should just leave it in my cart because they have the code in their book.

I went home, unloaded my car and drank several of the beers.

Comment

I wish we had a book! That's weird that the second cashier would have lifted it....maybe he didn't have a book at the time? I stopped telling people to leave stuff in the cart because often we have problems with the hand scanners, so I don't really mind either way if it's in the cart or on the belt. If I seem frustrated, it's usually because my equipment won't work. In this case though, it was just the end of my day, I was tired after lifting stuff all day, and this lady was just not nice. A bonus thought: after having to hand-key things a lot, I have a few numbers memorized
                  Last edited by MadMike; 03-05-2015, 09:18 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
                  Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                    I wish we had a book! That's weird that the second cashier would have lifted it....maybe he didn't have a book at the time? I stopped telling people to leave stuff in the cart because often we have problems with the hand scanners, so I don't really mind either way if it's in the cart or on the belt. If I seem frustrated, it's usually because my equipment won't work. In this case though, it was just the end of my day, I was tired after lifting stuff all day, and this lady was just not nice. A bonus thought: after having to hand-key things a lot, I have a few numbers memorized
                    I don't think this store has hand scanners. If they do, I've never seen them. If the second cashier had asked me to put the beer on the belt, I would have done so without complaint. I don't buy stuff that I can't carry, I have to get it out of my car and into my house, after all.

When I mentioned the second cashier to the third cashier, she pointed at the book (that appears to be a permanent fixture) and told me that if it happens again to tell the cashier that the code is on page 7.

Sometimes the POS at work really lives up to its second name and I will get frustrated as well. One day I was trying to do something rather complicated for a customer and the POS crashed. I exclaimed loudly "OH, you POS Oedipus!" then apologized to the customer who fortunately didn't understand what I had just said. The customer behind him did though and was laughing so hard he had water coming out of his eyes. (translation: Piece Of Shit Motherfucker)

Comment

Working...
                    X