Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would I Be Asking For It If I Could Do It?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I Be Asking For It If I Could Do It?

So, at The Client's IT Service Desk, there are many things I have access and permission to do. One of the things I cannot do is a... let's call it an account reset. This is not the same thing as a password reset. It more or less refreshes the account, clears out the cache and a few other background things to get the account working again. (This is simplified and probably inaccurate, but hey, obfuscation.)

Account resets are handled by account admins. Most of these admins leave around 5pm.

When ITSD gets a call from the Top Floor, these are the genuine VIP calls. Once we create a trouble-ticket for Top Floor's call, we always put it in our IT chat, so the service managers can make calls as necessary to call in techs or admins.

That is our background for this post. I had two separate calls today wherein some folks asked questions of me that they perhaps should have thought twice about before asking them.

Story the First

I get a call from a user who works for one of the Department Heads at The Client. The DH could not log into their computer. Indeed, the computer looked as if it may have been having issues getting power. The caller said they (themselves, DH, and other people in DH's office) were about to leave for the day, and DH wanted it fixed before they came in in the morning.

I make the ticket, send it to the Hardware Team, and let [Caller] know that I'll bring this to the managers' attention so they can get someone on it as soon as possible. Caller said that they were about to lock up DH's office, and no one would be able to access it until the late wee hours of the morning. Caller wanted to know when someone would come to the office. I tell them that ITSD has no access to HW Team's roster or schedule, but again reiterated that I would inform the managers so they could coordinate that. Caller seemed to understand and hung up.

I pop in the chat and tell the managers about DH's issue, give the ticket number. They ask me who called in, asked if it was [Caller]. I confirmed that. One of the techs on the Top Floor asked me when someone would be available to take the ticket. When I don't respond right away, they call my direct line to ask me again. I reiterate that I can't answer the question, because I do not know what the HW Team's schedule is like, and cannot put them on the spot by promising anything. Top Floor Tech, sounding nervous, restates what Caller had told me (DH's office is about to lock up) and then says she'll talk to the managers.

I was actually on my lunch break when Top Floor Tech had called me, so I just shook my head and got back to eating.

Story the Second

I get a call from someone else on Top Floor. They needed an account reset. They specifically asked for one, describing various issues that are indicative of the problems that can be fixed by an account reset. I create the ticket and pop in the chat, let the folks in there know "Hey, [dept.] user on Top Floor needs an account reset," and give them the ticket number.

Manager responds back, "Jay, do you have the capability to reset the user's account?"

I almost headdesk. I told them I do not.

Obviously, if I had the ability to reset their account, I would not bother asking for assistance.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
    Obviously, if I had the ability to reset their account, I would not bother asking for assistance.
    And it's that kind of thinking that makes you a worker, not a manager.

See, Managers know that you worker bees will do anything you can to get out of doing your job, and sometimes the manger needs to ask the obvious question to get you back on track.

</sarcasm>
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Working...
    X