This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good waterproof boots?

I'm not sure if this goes here or in Work Chat but I'm putting it here just in case.

My husband works in the meat department of a grocery store and at the end of the day, he has to wash the floor and countertops with a chemical that's supposed to eat away at any leftover meat hiding in crevices or the like. The problem is, it also eats away at his work boots. There aren't any paper or plastic booties that can withstand this stuff, he just has to hope his $100 boots last more than a month. We really can't keep shelling out this much money and his work isn't willing to reimburse him, so does anyone know any good, waterproof, breathable, not-too-expensive, and possibly non-leather work boots he could check out?

Thanks so much.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Side note is check with Health and Safety/OSHA about Personal Protective Equipment requirement. If he's using a harsh chemicals that detroy his boots then it's likely the PPE needed to prevent that should be supplied by the workplace.
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

What he said. Check the laws on this one. If they don't supply the equips or reimburse for them, he might at least be able to get a tax deduction...? Check with the pros either way.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sounds like he needs some sort of waterproof deck boots we use on boats - I find this type really comfortable and durable: http://www.thelongfin.com/xtratuf-boots-servus.html

Comment

I've worked tangential to the meat processing industry, these boots or similar are pretty much the standard for workers at most plants. http://www.qcsupply.com/71405-onguar...ndard-toe.html

Comment

When you mentioned "possibly non-leather", I assume your husband's current boots are leather.

From your description, this cleaner seems to be designed to break down organic material - and any breathable material would be porous, so the cleaner would soak into it. This would result in your husband's feet being exposed to the chemical. This is definitely an OHSA matter - your husband's employer needs to provide protective equipment so that he can use this chemical safely. If his boots are getting destroyed on a regular basis, he's working in an unsafe environment.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm wondering why "working" and "cleaning" boots have to be the same footwear.

My ex-father-in-law worked in a dairy, and wore standard work boots for the shift, then the entire crew changed to "cleaning gear" for the last hour of the shift, because the cleaning boots were like the ones Bearlee posted and not suitable for working in.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                I'm wondering why "working" and "cleaning" boots have to be the same footwear.
                Now that I think about it, they don't.
                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Working...
                X